91 prowler snowmachine trouble - Arctic Cat Prowler Forum
Arctic Cat Prowler Performance Modifications This is the area to discuss Arctic Cat Prowler performance modifications, Arctic Cat Prowler accessories, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 06:05 AM Thread Starter

Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
ssssssss2
91 prowler snowmachine trouble

My darling wife has bought me a 1991 articat prowler snowmachine with a 440 cc engine. The sled was bought used and I have been "working " with it for about a week now. The sled has sat for about two years with fuel preservative in it but has since had about 15 gallons of new fuel run thru it. At first the sled would only run with the choke on but did eventually get to where I could run with out the choke but was weak. As it turns out I was only running on the right cylinder. I was able to determine the left side was not getting any fuel. I decided to pull the carburetor and check the float as well as give it a good cleaning. I found the throttle cable had broke off just inside the carb.I ran down to the local articat dealer and bought myself a new cable set ( three cables in one ) and put them on. The sled still ran weak but was firing on both sides just no power without the choke and if it stalled it would have to be manually primed in order to start. I decided to pull the second carb ( don't know why I did not do both at the same time ) and found the throttle body was stuck in the full open position. Inspected and cleaned I put the carb back on , primed the engine and fired her up.
This is what I have now, The sled wont idle even with the throttle stops turned all the way in. If I leave the choke on it has enough power to keep moving @ about 15-20 mph. If I turn the choke off the sled will run on level ground but falls on its face if power is needed . I am under the impression it is starving for fuel but why. I don't have the means to check fuel pressure but have replaced the fuel lines with clear lines so I can see the fuel going to the carbs.. I do not have a Manuel yet as I have only had the sled two weeks and still working on getting what I need.So when your done laughing and get yourself back up off the floor could anyone send some helpful advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 01:52 PM

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
sssssss50
well not sled folks around here for the most part, but sounds like you have a vacuum leak or maybe the gaskets between the carb and the motor.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-02-2012, 01:21 AM

Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
ssssssss1
The articat prowler snow machine with 440 cc engine really works better. The vaccum leak may be due to the gaskets between the carb and the motors. The left part of the carburator is some of the times having problems of fuel leakages.

-----------------------------------------

snow machine

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Arctic Cat Prowler Forum > Arctic Cat Prowler Discussion > Arctic Cat Prowler Performance Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Arctic Cat Prowler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in