LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-24-2016, 05:41 AM Thread Starter

Activity Longevity
0/20 6/20
Today Posts
ssssssss2
2009 XTX Turf Saver Replacement part numbers

Hey everyone:

New to the forum and the UTV world for that matter. We moved to a new property and got a deal from a friend on an 09 700 xtx that wasn't running very well. Got it running, however the extremely jerky movements at low speed caused me to read up a bit. Seems this turf saver rear end has been a problem for many of you out there. It also seems there is a fairly simple fix by swapping out the ring gear and axles from a 700 XT model. I would like to get on this but I would like to know if someone could verify part numbers for me, and perhaps provide a link to where they have bought them from. Here are the part numbers I have based on a quality YouTube video of a swap out:

Ring Gear (36 tooth) 1402-032
O-Ring - 0423-149

Found both of these on Babbitts

Axles - AC-8-316-P

These ones are harder to find from a reputable site. Are these the correct part numbers and particularly, does anyone know where to order these axles from?

Much thanks. And any tips would be appreciated.

Kris-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-25-2016, 03:12 AM

Garage
Activity Longevity
3/20 14/20
Today Posts
ssssss657
part numbers are good! I did the swap on mine (2009 700 XTX). I never had any issues with the turf saver, but thought the locked rear may be better for plowing snow. I ordered axles off ebay. the 650 axles are the same as the 700XT. I looked on ebay, try this link Sixity 2008 Arctic Cat 650H1 XT650H1 Prowler 4X4 Rear Right XTA ATV Axles - Back Passenger Side Complete CV. These are China knockoffs, but I've run mine for two plus years with no problems! I have over 10,000 miles on my Prowler so it is used a lot!

Last edited by dpdavidson02; 11-25-2016 at 04:29 AM.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 06:46 AM Thread Starter

Activity Longevity
0/20 6/20
Today Posts
ssssssss2
Thanks for the help. Other than breaking a bolt, this really went smoothly and absolutely fixed the problem. Definitely not a hard job with the right tools for anyone that has one of these crappy Turf-Saver rear ends.

Last edited by Kmall002; 12-05-2016 at 02:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-06-2016, 03:39 AM

Garage
Activity Longevity
3/20 14/20
Today Posts
ssssss657
Several years ago, the hot set up was to weld the turf saver in order to make it a locker. I almost went that route, but I found parts on the web (including a case) so I built a complete rear gear. Most of the welded assemblies seem to have failed! My turf saver is on my parts shelf for future use! Sure wish AC would sell a clutch pack for them!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-21-2016, 08:28 PM

Activity Longevity
0/20 5/20
Today Posts
ssssssss2
fixing the turf saver

I recently acquired a 700xtx and had this same problem. After disassembling the ring gear housing I found it possible to just reposition the existing parts and get this Cat to drive almost as new. Internal parts are a bearing carrier the threads into the ring gear housing. Dremmel tool used to cut the welds and a spanner to remove it. Moving from the outside there is a spring washer (wafer washer) then a compression collar with an extended surface facing the washer, then a floating axle splined shaft with clutch disks which inserts into a v-block. This assembly gets compressed when a in the ring gear housing shaft presses the v-block away from the center of the ring gear carrier (during acceleration) and compresses the clutches which then engages the axle spline shaft and turns the right side axle and wheel. There is an identical set of parts on the other side of the center shaft turning the left axle and wheel. I hope you can see these parts in the photo "Atri 25.
What I did : I found there is one clutch disk that will come off (each side) so placing it aside, I moved the wafer washer into that location and turned the compression collar around (eliminating use of the cavity the washer was originally in) and reassembled and installed the ring gear unit. Just doing this removed the jerky start and stopping problem. (see picture Arti 25-2) I then went one step further adding in three .020 shims in each side (between the compression collar and the outer bearing carrier. Doing that removes virtually all play in the system and the rear drive works like a live axle system. Even the parking brake works now.

I hope this helps some of you avoid the expense of replacing whole rear drive components.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Arti 25.jpg (161.1 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Arti 25_2.jpg (128.1 KB, 18 views)
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-22-2016, 04:59 AM

Garage
Activity Longevity
3/20 14/20
Today Posts
ssssss657
Welcome to the site! Great info! I have the same machine and it has been great! My turf saver was still working like new when I swapped it out. I wanted a lock rear for snow plowing! Been a lot of interest in eliminating the turf saver as nobody makes a service pack for them, and they are a welded assembly. This is a fresh approach as far as I know of! I'll have to pull mine off the shelf and look at it now!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-26-2016, 08:11 AM

Activity Longevity
0/20 5/20
Today Posts
ssssssss2
Thanks for the welcome note. Some additional thoughts are ...
I was looking at this to figure out where to weld it up and decided to open it for a better understanding of how it works. After all, if it already didn't work and needed replacement, I wasn't going to make it worst. I am still not sure how welding (or where to weld) would fix the problem. Welding the v-blocks to the carrier (without disassembling) would eliminate any compression of the clutches. Then, the splined tube the axle goes into would always remain in freewheel mode and the wheels would never get any driving force. My conclusion was the clutch pack needed to have more static compression, and thus the shims seemed to be the answer. So far that is working out just fine and I'm getting good traction from both rear wheels. I don't see anything that could have worn enough to allow so much free play in the unit. My supposition is that the spring washer softens, not maintaining it's original configuration and pressure. Even with the shims I left the spring in (although tightly compressed) so it would add that little bit of cushion to the impact of the torque when power is applied. Hope the information helps others to save their ride without the high expense of replacement of the whole unit.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016, 04:00 AM

Garage
Activity Longevity
3/20 14/20
Today Posts
ssssss657
Great thought process! Wonder how many turf savers have been thrown out?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 12:45 PM

Activity Longevity
1/20 0/20
Today Posts
ssssssss1
any chance you'd have a video of what you did?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Arctic Cat Prowler Forum > Arctic Cat Prowler Discussion > Prowler 700 XT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Arctic Cat Prowler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in