Arctic Cat Prowler Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

New here to the forum and new to owning an arctic cat prowler. I've learned a ton already sifting through all the issues and its a big help but i need some direction as to where to start with this thing.

First off it wasn't running when i got it...took it in on a trade (grizzly 660) welllll come to find out after cleaning the carb, new fuel lines, cleaning the gas tank and getting it back together she runs great! :fingersx: BUT i have zero movement, nadda, :sad2: no grinding no clunking just nothing. I can move the gear lever and get R N H L on the dash but also get an E many times. So where do i start? could it be the drive belt or is something amiss with the clutch? Or am i going to have to rebuild the transmission? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! Has anyone else had these issues?

thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
141 Posts
That sounds strange, makes me wonder if the belt is broke. Pull the engine cover and the vent on top of the clutch housing, you should be able to see if the belt is in place.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hey guys,

New here to the forum and new to owning an arctic cat prowler. I've learned a ton already sifting through all the issues and its a big help but i need some direction as to where to start with this thing.

First off it wasn't running when i got it...took it in on a trade (grizzly 660) welllll come to find out after cleaning the carb, new fuel lines, cleaning the gas tank and getting it back together she runs great! :fingersx: BUT i have zero movement, nadda, :sad2: no grinding no clunking just nothing. I can move the gear lever and get R N H L on the dash but also get an E many times. So where do i start? could it be the drive belt or is something amiss with the clutch? Or am i going to have to rebuild the transmission? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! Has anyone else had these issues?

thanks in advance!!
I believe the E is for Error,and that means its not going into gear,i would take off the exhaust boot and look down in there,like the member above said.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply's! I'll check the belt this afternoon...i forgot to mention that it only has 179 hours and less then 1k miles on it as well but it did sit for 2 years so i'm wondering if anything inside the clutches can be frozen? I'm not to sure how those operate...lot of the hoses were cracked from sitting as well as the tires so maybe the belt was in the same condition...i'll check it out an post an update! Any one else has a suggestion let me have it!

·
Registered
141 Posts
If it been setting that long it could be possible that the wet clutch isn't working right. If you don't have one you can download a free pdf manual for the '07 prowler 650, here's a link. They don't have one for the 06 but everything is pretty much the same.
"K&T Parts House Lawn Mower Parts and Chain Saw & Trimmer Parts"

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK guys update here,

This thing has def been into before...go to take the cover off and there was only 6 bolts left in it!! That said i didn't have long to get it off an for some reason something is holding it...i didn't want to pull to hard an break it. Looking through the vent i can see that the belt is pushed alllll the way out...like a spring i'm guessing in the clutch is pushing it out all the way. Is that a sign that the clutch is seized up and stuck open or out?

What could be holding the cover on or is it just a wiggle and pull until it comes off eventually?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
also i forgot to mention it looks like there is some moisture from oil in the belt area...so i'm guessing i'll at least need to take the clutches off to replace the seal as well?

·
Registered
141 Posts
OK guys update here,

This thing has def been into before...go to take the cover off and there was only 6 bolts left in it!! That said i didn't have long to get it off an for some reason something is holding it...i didn't want to pull to hard an break it. Looking through the vent i can see that the belt is pushed alllll the way out...like a spring i'm guessing in the clutch is pushing it out all the way. Is that a sign that the clutch is seized up and stuck open or out?

What could be holding the cover on or is it just a wiggle and pull until it comes off eventually?
The belt should be about even with the top of the clutch when your looking through the vent hole. As for the cover not coming off, I think there's a bearing on the clutch cover that one of the clutch shafts fits in for support. That shaft might be stuck in the bearing, you might try tapping the cover with a rubber mallet. I'm sure someone will jump in here if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Here's a video that will give you a little info on the primary & secondary clutches, you still have a wet clutch in the engine. Look at the clutch shaft on the right side, it's shaft sticks out and that's the one that rides in the bearing on the clutch cover.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SS-bNMhb-KM

·
Registered
141 Posts
I forgot about those alignment pins.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah it must be grabbing on that shaft still, i had the cover loose to where i could move the side close to the front up and down and back and forth. I'll take a rubber mallet to it tonight. So when i look through the vent should i see what looks like a big spring at all? i couldn't really see the belt at all because it was pushed so far out under the cover when i looked through the vent tube.

thanks for all the info so far!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Yeah it must be grabbing on that shaft still, i had the cover loose to where i could move the side close to the front up and down and back and forth. I'll take a rubber mallet to it tonight. So when i look through the vent should i see what looks like a big spring at all? i couldn't really see the belt at all because it was pushed so far out under the cover when i looked through the vent tube.

thanks for all the info so far!
You shouldn't see the spring, either the nut came off that holds the clutch in place or the shaft is broke.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok guys after reading and digging some more i'm thinking it might be the wet clutch...could this make my prowler not move if it's shot?? After listening to it a little closer before attempting to remove the cover it does sound like there is a pretty good rattle coming from the clutch area.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
mlh1962 i appreciate the reply's, looks like i just have to get that cover off an go to town on it! wooo! Helps when the temp is in the 100's...i'll give an update once i get a better look at this thing. Sounds like the kid i got it from lied through his teeth about it! but i'm only in it 800 bucks so i'll just bite the bullet and fix er upp

·
Registered
141 Posts
If everything else is good you can put a complete new engine in for around $2500- $3,000. Does the spring look like this one?
Bumper Bicycle part Fender Rim Automotive exterior

and here's what the wet clutch looks like, you won't see it without taking off the primary & secondary clutches and pull the next housing off.

Watch Tire Hand Wheel Automotive tire Exercise equipment Weights Gas Fixture Weight training

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes that's what the spring looks like but it looks like it's extended out farther then that. I wouldn't need a new engine just because the clutches are shot would i? i want to avoid that if all possible! haha I'm thinking it's going to end up being something along these lines with the wet clutch or the other clutches! hope anyway

·
Registered
705 Posts
The spring is held compressed by a snap ring, and you need a tool to get it off. The tool is easy to make (look at EPI site to see what it is. Basically all you need is some threaded rod and two pieces of flat stock. The gaskets are reusable if you are careful. The wet clutch is behind the inner cover, so you will need to drain the oil. Wet clutch nut is left handed. Pretty easy to change springs, and the only parts that move are the shoes. Good luck, and keep asking questions!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Okay guys I'm about at my wits end here...I've got all the bolts out and I've used.and abused the rubber mallet on this thing and it's loose as all get out but will NOT come off....what could be holding this cover on??? Any other tricks anyone has to get this clutch cover off? I know I sound like a rookie lol but I've pulled so hard on the thing I've cracked it in two places and it's loose!! But something is holding it there on the primary side of things

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Alright...after pulling and pulling i finally broke the end off the cover :(....but I can see that the secondary clutch has been welded before! I'll attach a picture...anyway I decided to start it up and see what was going on. The clutches do spin in N and it seems to want to go in reverse or forward but can't...like the drive shaft is slipping. What does this sound like? I'm at the point where I'll replace all the clutches but what next? Is there a yoke the drive shaft is connected to that is susceptible to breaking? Oh I still haven't got the cover off!! Lol she still fires right up and purrs like a kitten though LOL!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts