Arctic Cat Prowler Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My prowler will sound like the starter engages for a second, then spins free. Doesn't crank the engine at all. I installed a new solenoid and starter and charged the battery, but it still acts the same. I think I wasted money on the solenoid and starter, but what is wrong with this thing?

·
Registered
710 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Sounds like the starter gears inside the stator cover are shot. They have a reduction gear system with a one way clutch behind the stator cover. You will need to remove the cover on the magneto side, flywheel will need to be removed to expose the gears. AC has a special tool for pulling the stator off. Let us know what you find!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got the side cover off, and the gears look good. The one way clutch seems to work too, but do you think it might have a spot that lets it free wheel the wrong way? Should I pull the flywheel and see if I find anything?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, the engine turns over. I turned it several times when I was taking the nuts off the crankshaft.
When I hit the key, the solenoid would click and the starter would spin like when a tooth is off a ring gear. I'm wondering if the starter clutch is bad. It seems to grab when you turn it by hand, but maybe it doesn't grab when it hits the wrong spot or something.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I got it tore apart. The starter clutch seems to work. The oil residue seems to have graphite in it. I think the guy I had rebuild the engine put the wrong oil in it. I got it all back together with new parts and oil and it starts great! Hope it stays together.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.