Arctic Cat Prowler Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have an '08 650 XT that is making an awful noise when reversing. It's been doing it for a while now and I'm concerned it's going to leave me stranded at some point.

I bought the Prowler 4 years ago to use on my property as a utility vehicle while clearing the land. 3 summers ago, I bought a trail pass for my local area and haven't looked back. It's mostly used for trail riding and mud now. The previous owner used it as a farm vehicle, so it wasn't driven hard at all. Now things are starting to wear out because of how it is being used.

For the past couple of summers, I have noticed a grinding / snapping noise when reversing. Mixed in with the noise is the occasional bang that reminds me of someone hitting metal with a hammer. The noise isn't present when it is under power, only when I let off of the throttle. It's quite loud and sounds like it is coming from the engine area, not the rear end.

I recently replaced a rear axle, and the gear oil in the rear diff needed to be replaced, but it didn't look too bad. The splines on the old axle were in good shape at the diff end as well.

This grinding noise isn't the same as when I occasionally try to put it in gear and the idle is too high. It's much louder and more serious sounding.

I have a repair manual and I am getting ready to tear it apart. Any thoughts on where I should begin?

Thanks

·
Registered
710 Posts
Any signs of metal in the oil? There is a screen in the sump that should be looked at also. The screen is accessible by taking the pan off of the motor. The bolts above the frame cross member are a challenge! I use a torx bit and a 1/4" wrench to break them loose, and replace with hex head flanged bolt. Next item to check is the one way bearing, these are known to fail and do make a racket. They are not really needed for your Prowler to function. AC issued a bulletin regarding taking the one way bearing out if you carry or pull heavy loads. You may notice a decrease in engine braking, but not bad really. I'd start here! Let us now what you find!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.