Arctic Cat Prowler Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am now scratching my head as I have tried all that I know to do. My prowler has started to act up.

It starts just fine. but when you put it in gear, (R, High, Low) 2wd 4wd it take for ever for the darn thing to start moving. I give it gas but nothing, I have to feather the gas slowly until it seems to catch and then it goes but if I let off gas in the lest bit it starts to (slip?) it just revs high and eventually catches, even at high speed it does this and will darn near throw you over the dash.

I have replaced the beld, secondary clutch, primary clutch, wet clutch installed an EPI clutch kit, changed oil nothing.

anyone have this issue and resolved it? like I said I am scratching my head ready to just take "Elaine" (prowler's name) to the dump and say the heck with it.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I'd pull the one way bearing out of it. Throwing you over the dash is a sign of that going bad. You can run without the bearing, and AC recently came out with a bulletin recommending removing the bearing if you haul heavy loads/trailer, plow snow, and a couple of other examples. Also while pulling the bearing make sure your cover seals are not leaking any oil. Mine had similar symptoms and I found out that my fixed plate nut had come loose and damaged the fixed plate. Seems after several uses of the nut they wear out and will not stay tight, I now replace my fixed nut every time I work on the primary. Cheap insurance at 4.00 dollars! Let us know what you find out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks I was leaning toward bad turf saver as for 1 way bearing I replaced it when I replaced wet clutch and it still doing it. I didn't know if this is a turf saver symtom? If so I think I'll convert to pos traction.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Could be related to the turf saver, but you said it also did it in 4wd. Is the one way bearing installed with the green dot visible? Changing to a locked rear is a popular swap. I have all of the parts ready to go, but I'm still driving with the original turf saver rear, pushing over 6,000 miles on it to date, and still performs as new! I change the rear lube 3X's a year, don't know if that helps, but can't hurt. Any 36tooth rear will work, and either replace the inner CV's, or buy complete axles. I bought axles for mine (about 20 dollars more than inner cv kit!) 2009 XT, or 2011, and up 700 Prowlers have the right gear set.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Screwing with the cv's was not worth saving 20 dollars! Lot of people have tried welding the turf saver, and everyone of them that I know of have failed again! New assembly is the only way to go. I picked up a used case, and picked up a set of 36 tooth gears. I have about 350.00 in the rear using all new parts except the case. I've seen used 36T rear ends for about 390.00 on powersportsnation.com

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.