Arctic Cat Prowler Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been dealing with an exhaust rattle and think it may be inside my muffler. On the back there are 3 - 8mm bolts that hold the spark arrestor in. I removed them and expected the arrestor would slide right out, NOT! It's like it's stuck! Anyone had theirs out? Was it stuck? I pried on it some and no movement. Paint isn't even burned off the muffler so it's not all rusted out. Low miles but still, it has a rattle!

·
Registered
141 Posts
I've got a rattle in mine also, one of the internal tubes is loose as far as I can tell. I pulled the spark arrestor and that wasn't the problem, I can hit the side of the muffler with my hand and hear the rattle.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I hear mine at a certain RPM, It's kind of like a chatter. I can get a heavy flat screw driver behind the arrester plate but it didn't want to budge and I didn't want to bend anything. I'll give it another shot, or be buying an aftermarket muffler.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Aftermarket mufflers will add HP, only drawback I experienced was the noise level increase. Wife flat didn't like it! LOL That and repacking the dam things! I ended up putting CherryBomb mufflers on mine! Noise level at 35-45 mph is very pleasant, and wife was happy!

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Aftermarket mufflers will add HP, only drawback I experienced was the noise level increase. Wife flat didn't like it! LOL That and repacking the dam things! I ended up putting CherryBomb mufflers on mine! Noise level at 35-45 mph is very pleasant, and wife was happy!
So dp did you go true duals then with the set up? Have you checked the plugs to see if it runs lean? Any improvement in power? Not that it needs it! Where did you purchase the bombs? Do you remember the size of the muffler ends? I like the look!

·
Registered
710 Posts
I bought the mufflers off Amazon, 2 1/4" in, and out. I run a DynaTek 10-6 Engine controller, no lean conditions! Mt Prowler is a 700 with a Big Bore kit (750), Web Cam & rockers, increased compression to 11.5 (Run Mid Grade gas). I used a header, and mid pipe off of a LTE system (Stainless Steel, very nice product). The Cherry Bombs fit the mid pipe perfectly, only thing I did was to install Harley Davidson drag pipe baffles in the cherry bombs to quiet them down! But one bolt and I can remove the baffles. All told, pipes, clamps, hangers, baffles, and mufflers I have about 325-350 into the system. I figure a local muffler could fab a header, or adapt a stock header into a dual setup for what the pipes run,

·
Registered
710 Posts
Nope, it is a single! LTE makes a dual kit for the 700 XT, and XTX Prowlers. They use a header pipe, then the mid pipe splits into two. I used the LTE parts because I had them on hand (the mufflers needed repacking), I ride just about every day and LTE recommends repacking every 500-1000 miles, I rack up that mileage in a month! Knowing what a complete system runs, I thought I could build one at a reduced cost, hence the Cherrybomb approach! I work on my Prowler every day building stuff nobody offers!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
UPDATE........... I removed that rattling piece of tin they put around the muffler and wrapped the muffler with exhaust wrap. Waaaaaay quieter than it was. Most of the rattle and vibration is gone. The shield that's over the cross over pipe has some vibration and pinging noise coming from it. The bottom exhaust spring was rubbing on the bottom of the shield and causing most of the problem. I simply bent it away from the spring and it's much better. THOSE SPINGS ARE SURE A FIGHT TO PUT BACK ON!!! :box:. I took 4 foot of wire and hooked it around the end of the spring and pulled it from inside the cab while a friend hooked it around the tabs. Ugh.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.