Arctic Cat Prowler Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lost the lower front ball joint last week. If I remember correctly when I installed the kit the balls were taken off the factory arms. Looks like somehow the stud slipped out past the cap bolt. Arm dropped and jacked up the rotor and pulled out the axle. Other than that not much damage.

Anyone make something better than the stock ball joints? Has this happened to anyone else? Is there a better setup?

Thank you!

·
Premium Member
584 Posts
Some guys thru bolt the pinch bolt(drillout the spindle and install a longer bolt and nut. Ihave found that the AC torque specs are to loose After having a problem I installed a new pinch bolt and torqued it to
50ftlbs and have had no problems since I think at the AC torque the bolt isnt tight enough to pinch the ball joint stud just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I hate pich bolts on ball joints. Just a little too loose and the spindle wears or the joint comes out. I suggest doing like Joe recommends just be sure you use a higher grade bolt so it does not stretch, grade eight to ensure it holds the torque. I still prefer the old castellated nut and cotter pin style. They keep redesigning and fixing what isn't broken. Good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. I was actually on here back in 2010 when I bought this thing. But I forgot my user info lol. RvrRat or something like that.

So if memory serves me, the ball joint stud just slips in to the spindle and the pinch bolt holds it there? Isn't the ball joint stud grooved in the center so the pinch bolt protrudes in to it a little? Pretty crappy design imo. The pinch bolt is a blind thread, correct?

When it broke I was actually hoping it was something good that broke. Carnage might as well be carnage. But to have a ball joint slip out sucks. lol

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.