Arctic Cat Prowler Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone had any trouble after oyu run your engine for a while and shut it off and then try to start back up imediatly.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The 700 is EFI, if you don't let the fuel pump cycle (wait a few seconds) it won't start. Your speedo should also sweep before you try to start it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Tire Question

JD, What do you mean (speedo cycle)?
Question, 2008 Prowler 650 has factory tires. I use the vehicle around my place to work and ride. It causes groves in soft ground and tears up the grass.
Is it possible to get wider tires with less tread. Any thoughts appreciated.
Mike

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had the same problem with my quad tearing up grass on the acreage. I ended up putting a set of Golf cart tires on old set of rims, and run those around the yard. When I head for the trails, I do the swap to the stock tires. The golf cart tires wont even hurt the grass doing donuts. Not sure about float tires for soft ground, I havent had that problem. Good luck.

·
Registered
22 Posts
JD, What do you mean (speedo cycle)?
Question, 2008 Prowler 650 has factory tires. I use the vehicle around my place to work and ride. It causes groves in soft ground and tears up the grass.
Is it possible to get wider tires with less tread. Any thoughts appreciated.
Mike

What I mean is when you turn the ket ON, the EFI models will cycle the fuel pump (buzzing) and the needle on the speedo will move backwards until the cycle is over. If you try to start the EFI's before that cycle is complete, you will have problems starting it. You should wait about 5 seconds until attempting to start the atv/utv.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Starting and other engineering design flaws

I have a 2009 model 700 HI XTX. I'm on the third starter in less than 60 hours of operation. I think the problem is a lack of a compression release system; at least there's no mechanism in the parts lookup from Arctic Cat. I'm going to haul it 300 miles one-way to the dealer AGAIN, but I don't have any hope they will be able to remedy this problem.

Another problem I have is dust - the intake for the engine and the tranny are both located in the middle just above the underbody pan. It sucks up dust like a vacuum cleaner. An inch was in the bottom of the tranny during the last inspection. I've "engineered" two 1.5-inch PVC pipes to rise behind the headrests and next to either side of the roll cage. It looks crappy, but they work. I'm ordering 30" crome automotive exhaust tips to replace the PVC to make it look better, but this is really poor design that should be recalled and fixed by Arctic Cat, probably rerouting intakes near the radiator.

Finally, the emergency brake has a crimp in the cable at the pedal the way it's designed, and the cable needs a factory recall to give it a more linear routing.

I've spent $1500 in maintenance/repairs not covered under warantee, and would not recommend Arctic Cat at this time. If the repairs are made and effective, then I might change my story, because when it runs, it's awesome.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have a 2009 model 700 HI XTX. I'm on the third starter in less than 60 hours of operation. I think the problem is a lack of a compression release system; at least there's no mechanism in the parts lookup from Arctic Cat. I'm going to haul it 300 miles one-way to the dealer AGAIN, but I don't have any hope they will be able to remedy this problem.

Another problem I have is dust - the intake for the engine and the tranny are both located in the middle just above the underbody pan. It sucks up dust like a vacuum cleaner. An inch was in the bottom of the tranny during the last inspection. I've "engineered" two 1.5-inch PVC pipes to rise behind the headrests and next to either side of the roll cage. It looks crappy, but they work. I'm ordering 30" crome automotive exhaust tips to replace the PVC to make it look better, but this is really poor design that should be recalled and fixed by Arctic Cat, probably rerouting intakes near the radiator.

Finally, the emergency brake has a crimp in the cable at the pedal the way it's designed, and the cable needs a factory recall to give it a more linear routing.

I've spent $1500 in maintenance/repairs not covered under warantee, and would not recommend Arctic Cat at this time. If the repairs are made and effective, then I might change my story, because when it runs, it's awesome.
Sounds to me like the problem is the dealer not wanting to do warranty work OR they are being pais by AC to di it AND charging you on top of it. I have seen that many times. The starter issue that keeps happening is not only with this model but the Thundercat atv also. Arctic Cat now has a T-Cat starter upgrade, maybe it will work for you guys too.

Here it is :

As everyone knows by now there is an upgraded starter kit for the Thundercat, Essentially they use a larger gear and a smaller starter shaft gear which allows the starter motor to turn over more times for the same speed of the engine --- Increased gear reduction.
Costs a couple hundred Dollars, and can be installed in a couple of hours. The engine does not hesitate to start even if it is hot, the weather is cold or your battery is weak.
The kit part number is 0837-007, it comes with a new starter, new gear, a side cover gasket and instructions. Available through regular Arctic Cat parts supply outlets.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thanks for the info. Sorry I'm not an "everyone in the know" but I appreciate the shared knowledge.

LOL....Sorry about that. I copied and pasted it so i didn't have to type it out again.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Decompression fixed & intakes rerouted

With a nasty letter to Arctic Cat, the local dealer finally fixed my decompression (or lack of) problem. The online parts viewer still doesn't show a compression release on the cam, but it is there, with a very wimpy spring (see attached photo). It starts like it did when new.

I fixed the caliche dust in the belt drive housing and the air intake with some 1 1/2-inch pvc for the transmission and a flex pipe cupling to attach, and used 1 1/4-inch flex hose slipped in the air intake box, with a 1 1/2-inch PVC sleeve slipped over the new inlet. Both inlets are routed to just inside the roll cage, have a 2 1/4-inch black chrome angle-cut exhaust tip to make a neat finish. I put some grey foam pipe insulation below the tips to keep the pipes from banging the frame. Works great!

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts