Arctic Cat Prowler Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so i have a 2006 prowler 650 and i was riding and the castle nut on the axle some how managed to back it self off the axle over cotter pin and flattened the threads. i was wondering if anyone has had this problem cause i rebuilt the outter part of the axle rode it for bout 20 mins and it did the same thing again. please if anyone has any info that could help share!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just saw this post trying to find problems with prowlers before i buy a new side by side. I had to reply to this one. I had this same thing happen on my grizzly. my grizzly doesnt use a castle nut with a cotter pin but it does have a space on the axle stub that you have to use a chisel and hammer to bend the outer lip of the axle nut into to keep the nut from spinning. mine tore off the nut and i had to make a temporary repair. i used a screwdriver and a rock to purposely peen or flatten a few of the threads after i tightened the nut. this worked quite well untill i got a new axle nut.
You could do the same thing to yours if you had to but inbetween the notches on the castle nut on the right side of the notch in the nut to sort of push the threads up to the nut in the same direction you turned the nut to tighten it. I have seen some locking type axle nuts that have the inside threads out of round to create a locking style nut. Mainly on car cv axles though, but you could also try to make your own locking nut as well by hitting the castle part of the nut inward towards the center of the nut so it would create some drag on the nut and the thread surface. If you need an example get a rocker arm nut for say a 87 shevy small block and look at the threads of the nut. The hole in the nut will be distored in such a way that they look more like a triangle. Is the cotter pin big enough to fill most of the cotter pin hold and not so small that it will almost pull through? Are you getting the nut tight enough? Once the nut works its way loose its free to rattle against the cotter pin untill it breaks. thats usually why you only see cotter pins mostly on steering linkages and and ball joints or through a spindle that doesnt rotate rapidly like an old school 2wd truck with front wheel bearings instead of hubs. Hope this helps eventhough i dont have a prowler yet. Im still debating.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts