Arctic Cat Prowler Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I have a 2013 700 HDX. I changed the tires to a all season truck tire as I do most of the driving on asphalt to save my stock tires. When I turn a corner on slight inclines in high, I get a squeal noise which I assume is due to the belt slipping. Is this a normal occurence?
Thanks for your help.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How many miles on the belt
Currently 1500 but it started doing it around 700. I generally have to shift to low to make the corner then stop to shift back to high. This happens with no load and just me in the cab. I also get a burnt smell in the cab.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Burnt smell is a sure sign of the belt slipping. Going up an incline, and turning for a corner really loads the driveline. Locked rear axle is binding up, and add the incline, and high gear, the belt will slip. The stock belts are pretty good. Have you looked at it yet? It should ride about 1/8" down in the primary, also check for any signs of oil seepage. A seal leaking in the clutch area is not that unusual.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good information and I will check. From investigating access, it doesnt look very easy to get to the cover to check. Am I missing something or is there an easier way?

·
Registered
710 Posts
The HDX is more difficult to do than a XTX. I think on your's the clutch cover is on the passenger side of the motor. I pull the seats, engine cover, seat mounts, and floor to work on the belt/clutch. I think on yours you do the same, plus removing the gas tank. I'm used to doing mine, so it takes me about 1 hour start to finish. Do you have access to a good selection of tools, and a good impact? If not, you may want to look at a dealer doing it. K&N lawn equipment has free service manual downloads if you need one.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have all the tools needed and I appreciate the insight and service information. Guess I will set a few hours aside and dig into it.
One last question. ....to actually change the belt, at that point, will it be fairly simple or does it require more teardown to complete the task?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have all the tools needed and I appreciate the insight and service information. Guess I will set a few hours aside and dig into it.
One last question. ....to actually change the belt, at that point, will it be fairly simple or does it require more teardown to complete the task?

Also, do you have the actual link to k&n as Im having some problems finding it when I search. Thanks

·
Registered
141 Posts
Good information and I will check. From investigating access, it doesnt look very easy to get to the cover to check. Am I missing something or is there an easier way?

Not sure about the setup on the HDX but on mine I can pull the clutch vent duct and see one of the clutches and how the belt is riding on it.

·
Registered
141 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
If the belt is slipping you'll probably have to pull it apart anyway, the clutch plates will need to be cleaned and a new belt installed. Brake cleaner works good to clean out all the belt dust and a scotch-brite pad on the clutch plates.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.