Arctic Cat Prowler Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi just bought new 2009 xtz 1000 nice machine but cant override in diff lock when going forwards any way to fix this or just stuck with it this way???

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'm pretty sure mine worked going forward and in reverse. I'm not sure what's up with yours. Any other XTZ guys out there that can test it out for us??

·
Registered
120 Posts
The override button is for reverse, the engine has a governor on reverse so you don't overpower the gears in the diffs. They are designed to be strong going in forward but that makes them weaker when rotating the opposite way, hence the governor for reverse.

·
Registered
120 Posts
From the Prowler Owner's Manual, page 27...

Reverse Override
Switch​
This vehicle is equipped with a reverse
speed limiter system. When additional
RPM is needed in reverse, depress and
hold the override switch located on the
center console.​
��​
NOTE: The vehicle must be in 4WD
to activate the reverse override.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the info guys but mine governs in forwards just with the diff lock on and wont override in forwards. So a guy cant really hitter in the mud!!

·
Registered
120 Posts
I know in the manual it also states that under no conditions should you exceed 10mph while the diff lock is engaged.

From page 26 of the Prowler Manual
WARNING
WARNING:
The differential lock is intended for
use where minimum traction is
available. NEVER EXCEED 10 MPH
(16 kph) with the front differential
lock engaged. Maneuverability and
handling characteristics will differ
with the differential lock engaged.
ALWAYS shift into four-wheel drive
prior to engaging the differential
lock. Failure to follow this procedure
may result in loss of control.

Control loss can result
in severe
injury or even death.

·
Registered
54 Posts
On my machine the override does work with the diff lock and in reverse. I had my machine burried in snow and had to use the diff lock and the override to get out. As for the gears getting damaged while going over 10 mph it is talking about driving over 10 mph moving (Ground Speed), not while being stuck in the mud or snow because then there is not really any resistance on all the wheels.

·
Registered
120 Posts
On my machine the override does work with the diff lock and in reverse. I had my machine burried in snow and had to use the diff lock and the override to get out. As for the gears getting damaged while going over 10 mph it is talking about driving over 10 mph moving (Ground Speed), not while being stuck in the mud or snow because then there is not really any resistance on all the wheels.
The diff lock is supposed to work in reverse while in lock mode.
The warning label I posted came directly out of the owner's manual. Spinning your tires at high speed and then having them catch traction is a receipe for breaking axles.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Yeah it could break axles or even tear up the differential, But it could do that even if the diff is unlocked. If you wanted to think that way and ride that way you won't go anywhere. Anything can happen at anytime even if you do everything by the book, it is not a perfect world.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Yeah it could break axles or even tear up the differential, But it could do that even if the diff is unlocked. If you wanted to think that way and ride that way you won't go anywhere. Anything can happen at anytime even if you do everything by the book, it is not a perfect world.
Yeah, and I'm just trying to tell how the diff lock is supposed to function according to AC.
And I have put many miles on through out the desert southwest and the Rocky Mountains. Some under trail conditions and some in race events. All with never breaking an axle or a differential. Both with an XTX 700 and an XTZ 1000.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts