Arctic Cat Prowler Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope that I am doing this right. I would love to hear back from someone on this. I have a 3 year old YUASA battery that cost not much under $200. In my view, it still seems to be alright with load tests, etc. My PROWLER is a 2009 XTZ 1000 (first year model) and it only just turned 1400 miles. In that time, it has had about 5 oil changes (based on time) and is certainly "over maintained." What I have noticed lately are starting problems. If my battery is showing 12 volts (12.08 for example) the machine will not turn over well enough to start. If it is at 12.4 volts, for example, it will “explode” into action. I am thinking that a new battery, every 2 years or so, cannot be the answer. I do not understand why the machine will not start when the battery seems to be fully charged. Internet research has showed me comments like “these things do not like low voltage”, etc. I also see where it suggests that some modern machines are designed NOT TO START with lower voltage. I am unsure that a full 12 volts is lower voltage; however. I know that there are instruments and, possibly, fuel injection which drains power when not running; however, I am wondering if there is anything that I can do to thwart this problem. I am sure that I have seen other SXS machines start reliably even with sub-12 volt (close) voltages; however, not this one. I have bought a NOCO booster to carry with me and I am pleased with it. I just wish that I only had to use it to boost other people. I have even had this machine running and then, a short time later, I had to boost it to get it off of my trailer. I have a meter that shows that my charging system is working well. This must be a battery issue; however, why does it always show 12 volts and then will not start the machine sometimes? Has anybody had a similar issue? Any cures?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.