Arctic Cat Prowler Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All new to both the board and the SXS club
I have a 2016 HDX700 Hunter been riding as much as i can but now that the hotter weather is here i've been thinking of adding a manual switch where i can have the fan run longer and/or more often.
Being a mechanic by trade i know heat is a killer to alot of engines and elect items by adding a wire to power the fan to run but not cutting the wire so the fan will still come on at normal on and off times.
Am i just over thinking this and should leave well enough alone Arctic Cat knows best or does this sound like a worth while idea?
Thanks for any input

·
Registered
710 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I've seen several by-pass kits on the web, but they seem to be a waste of money for a person with skills! I installed a temp gauge on mine, and riding in 90+ weather does make it run hotter, but still within limits. By saying it runs hotter, I mean the fan cycles more frequently! The highest temp I've seen has been 190, fan cycles and the temp drops back to 165/170. I'd recommend a temp gauge before resorting to a by-pass switch.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thank you dpdavidson02 for your response mine does have a temp gauge as per factory in the display. i agree with you 100% it does cycle on more in hotter weather and/or on harder longer pulls. I've seen mine as hot as 213 and the fan was on it ran till it got back down to 175 or so.
If my fan is running when i come to a stop i will not shut it off till it stops running. After taking a break and starting it back up of course the temp is back up and the fan starts up.
Again i'm sure it is all within specs i just thought it would be a "better" idea to have it come on sooner and run longer. just my thoughts
Thanks

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Joes5091 i think it can be done pretty easy to do but after looking at that UTV Inc kit it isn't worth my time to buy everything and wire it up myself . I'm going to assume you turn it on and it runs all the time and turn it off it works as normal with the temp sender?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
dpdavidson02 am i right to assume that when you turn it on the fan is running and when it isn't in the override position it is working normal and comes on at it's normal temp?

·
Registered
710 Posts
Yes on that! I haven't seen how it is wired, but suspect they added a switchable ground wire to the fan motor. I looked at the manual, and as I thought, the motor has voltage whenever the key is on, the sensor just tells the fan relay to complete the grounding lead. So you just need to add a wire to ground and a switch at the motor connection.

VOLTAGE (Main Harness Connector to Fan Motor) 1. Set the meter selector to the DC Voltage position. 2. Connect the red tester lead to the black/red wire (the black 2-prong at the fan motor); then connect the black tester lead to ground. 3. The meter must show battery voltage. „NOTE: If the meter shows no battery voltage, troubleshoot the battery, fuse, motor, or the main wiring harness.
„NOTE: If the meter shows battery voltage, the main wiring harness is good. The connector

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not sure what year you are working with but mine is a 2016 and the best i can tell is the power is controlled the ground is there all the time.
I thought it would be a easy mod to install a switched power to the fan but the more i thought about it i'm not sure what i will be back feeding with the switch on but the ecm not calling for it to be on.
I am assuming that's what turns it on like a car or truck a set temp in the ecm powers it up?
I think for the sake of not screwing things up or damaging anything i'm going with the UTV Inc kit.
From what you guys say and they say it's plug and play and a nice harness where i would be making my own
Thanks for everything

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well just after i posted this i called UTV Inc and they tell me it is not plug and play that i will need to do some splicing.
dpdavidson02 is this right? do you have any pics of your set up at the fan? i just didn't want to splice wires and i'm not 100% sold on it not back feeding through the temp sender when it is powered up?

·
Registered
710 Posts
Looked at the wiring diagram and the fan relay controls the ground of the motor. Add a wire and a switch to the neg. wire and you are good to go. Using strictly the ground side eliminates the potential for a back feed.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.