Arctic Cat Prowler Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was wondering what was the best gaskets to use or if i should just use RTV or permatex the right stuff on the engine cases. I know i have to use a head gasket at least. Your input on this would be great. TIA.
P.S. This is on a 2006 Arctic Cat Prowler 650 XT

·
Banned
365 Posts
you dont want to use anything on your head gasket just torque to specs on all your bolts,ask dealer about gasket sealant.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've used Permatex or Pro seal RTV with good results. I always replace the head gasket, but will reuse the others, if they are in good condition with a light application of gasket sealer. Since we are both doing the same repair, let me know how it goes. I'm still waiting on parts arrival to proceed with mine.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I planned on replacing the headgasket but I was not sure about the rest of the gaskets I use rtv on my motorcycle and have had no issues otherwise.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Does anyone know what size of socket the nut is on the secondary clutch and what torque it is set to?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Torque spec.

Drivin Pulley Nut 97.5 ft lb, Fixed driven to clutch shaft 97.5 ft lb.

I don't remember the nut size and couldn't find it in the manual. I remember when I put mine together, I didn't have that large a metric socket and used a standard socket which happened to fit nicely, I'm thinking it was a 1 5/8, put can't remember for sure,

Good Luck.

·
Banned
365 Posts
Drivin Pulley Nut 97.5 ft lb, Fixed driven to clutch shaft 97.5 ft lb.

I don't remember the nut size and couldn't find it in the manual. I remember when I put mine together, I didn't have that large a metric socket and used a standard socket which happened to fit nicely, I'm thinking it was a 1 5/8, put can't remember for sure,

Good Luck.
Cheesehead,did you get yours together and running.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Up and running

Yes I got the Prowler finished and it's up and running. Turned into a bigger project then I had expected, but in the end it all worked out well. How about your project?

·
Banned
365 Posts
Yes I got the Prowler finished and it's up and running. Turned into a bigger project then I had expected, but in the end it all worked out well. How about your project?
what all did you end up re-building,and how much did you have in it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
As you might recall. I bought the 2007 prowler unseen with mechanical problems. When it arrived, I found it had a 8 inch crack in the aluminum case. When I disassembled I discovewred that the secondary drive gear and secondary driven gears were broke and wiped out one of the bearings and the case. Buying a new set of cases for the motor would have cost $1500, so instead I found a good used case from a 2008 prowler 700, for $500.00 I checked the pictures closely and they looked to be the same, I checked the manual and then cross referenced all the parts, such as bearings and saw that all the numbers matched, so I bought it. I then bought the new gear set from Artic cat. ( they have replaced the original design with forged gears that are stronger and of better design. I then replaced the bearing that had been wiped out and starting to put the motor back together, only to find out that the motor mount system had been change between the 2007 and 2008 model years. Since I was not able to remove the crankshaft with a puller ( it mushroomed the end of the shaft and the threads) and I did not want to spend an additional $800 for a new one ( nothing was wrong with the old one. I decided to use only the case half from the 2008. When I went to assemble and found the mounting change had resulted in a small casting change on the bottom of the motor. I had to do a little re-engineering to close up a gap on the mated case and had to split the case twice to get it all right. After a lot more hours and a great learning experience, I have about $1500 invested in the motor.

How's your project coming?

·
Banned
365 Posts
As you might recall. I bought the 2007 prowler unseen with mechanical problems. When it arrived, I found it had a 8 inch crack in the aluminum case. When I disassembled I discovewred that the secondary drive gear and secondary driven gears were broke and wiped out one of the bearings and the case. Buying a new set of cases for the motor would have cost $1500, so instead I found a good used case from a 2008 prowler 700, for $500.00 I checked the pictures closely and they looked to be the same, I checked the manual and then cross referenced all the parts, such as bearings and saw that all the numbers matched, so I bought it. I then bought the new gear set from Artic cat. ( they have replaced the original design with forged gears that are stronger and of better design. I then replaced the bearing that had been wiped out and starting to put the motor back together, only to find out that the motor mount system had been change between the 2007 and 2008 model years. Since I was not able to remove the crankshaft with a puller ( it mushroomed the end of the shaft and the threads) and I did not want to spend an additional $800 for a new one ( nothing was wrong with the old one. I decided to use only the case half from the 2008. When I went to assemble and found the mounting change had resulted in a small casting change on the bottom of the motor. I had to do a little re-engineering to close up a gap on the mated case and had to split the case twice to get it all right. After a lot more hours and a great learning experience, I have about $1500 invested in the motor.

How's your project coming?
I didnt have any motor problems,I didn't know the motor mounts were different from 07 to 08.learn something everyday,great info.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.