Arctic Cat Prowler Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I have a 2007 Arctic Cat Prowler 650XT. I bought the unit brand new 3.5 years ago and its been very reliable for me until the beginning of this year. I started noticing a slight rattle in the motor and to be safe I took it back to the dealer (3 hours away) I bought it from and got the prowler back from the dealer with a clean bill of health. Unfortunately, about 5 months later (which was about a month ago or so) I rode the prowler and it started having a bad top end chatter and was very under powered (would only go about 35mph floored). I thought maybe the valves needed to be adjusted so I got the specs online and from dealer and once I got to adjusting I relized that even bottoming out the valve adjustment, the valves were way off and still loose as a goose.

I went into the dealer and they told me that the cam is probably bad due to the plastic oil pump gear being the culprit by not oiling the top end enough. I had a friend who had this exact thing happen to his prowler only his was covered under warranty and mine is well out of warranty. Anyways, I plan on tearing into the Prowler tomorrow and pulling the cam out, as I feel like this is a perfect reason for all the problems I am having with it. My questions are in order to change the oil pump gear, do I have to crack the cases of the engine? After looking at some microfiche it almost looked like you could take a plate off the bottom of the motor and get to the gear but I could be wrong.

Also I was considering putting a new timing chain in too. If so, can I swap out the timing chain and cam without cracking the cases?

The prowler still runs but is very noisy so i have it parked. Im hoping to fix the prowler and get it back up and running for Thanksgiving at the sand dunes here soon. I am already planning a much bigger tear down and rebuild in the future when I accrue all the funds but for now I'm trying to do this on the cheap. I was figuring I would buy a cam, timing chain, oil pump gear, gaskets, oil/filter and do all the work myself.

Is this possible without tearing the motor into a million pieces??

thanks in advance.
Jordan :sad2::ugh1:

·
Registered
108 Posts
Yes you can

You can get to all that without splitting the case.
All the items you want to get at are right behind the inner clutch cover and that piece is easily removed you are even be able to do it all while still in machine.

Good luck!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome! One last thing....do I need any special tools to remove the clutch or anything else?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bad news!..:ugh1:..I tore the head off the motor and the cam is definately bad but thats only part of the problem. The rockers are worn badly and the outside journal in the head where the cam rides is scored up. I also pulled the oil pan off and found some metal bits in the pan, most likely from the cam. :wtf1:

Not sure why this happened, I haven't been able to get a look at the oil pump drive gear but I have a feeling it is bad too, which most likely caused all the other problems. Everything else looks great with virtually no wear at all. The clutches, belt, timing chain and gears all look awesome. Its unfortunate this has happened because the head alone through a dealer is $750 which far more than I can afford with all the other parts that it needs to put back together.

Possibly considering parting out the motor now and converting to an R1 motor or similar street bike chain drive setup. Anyone interested in parts or have a cylinder head or cam lying around???:yell::banghead:

Son of a .....

Jordan

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I got the parts in. Thanks john. (Riddler 28)

Also after tearing the inner clutch cover off I discovered the reason for all my problems. The oil pump gear was missing nearly every tooth on it and wasn't even on the oil pump anymore. It had fallen off the pump shaft and was just lying below it on the bottom of the case. Makes sense why the top end went bad and wasn't getting oiled obviously.

Makes me wonder if the crank sits in oil as it spins or if the bottom end was not getting oiled as well? Anyone had this oil pump gear failure?

A friend I know had the same problem with his, only he caught it early on and before anything was damaged. Seems to be a weak link in these motors. Not sure why it happened as everything else looks beautiful in the motor. Even the gear that drives the oil pump gear looks great but somehow the oil pump gear sheared almost all the teeth. Weird and unfortunate.

Jordan.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Mine had same thing happen to it. THEY SAID IT WAS VERY common and they fixed alot of them. cost me almost $400. I shut mine off right after it started making noise. All teeth gone on oil pump gear. I thought for sure I had thrown a rod!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.