Arctic Cat Prowler Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys I’m having a sputtering issue with my 2010 Prowler 1000 XTZ when I accelerate. Pretty much narrowed it down to fuel distribution. I cleaned the pick up filter half assed with some carb cleaner and reinstalled the fuel pump and it seemed to work good for a couple days. Then the sputtering and backfiring returned after sitting for a week. Now I have the machine back in the shop and have cleaned the filter real good with carb cleaner, compressed air and a shop vac. I’m going to run the machine tomorrow to see if it works but my question is:
Are these filters a common service replacement item or could it be that my fuel pump is failing?
Thanks in advance if you can help, if not thanks for reading and following along if you’re having the same problem!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Only that the filter did have a bit of a varnish colour before cleaning. I’m going to clean the tank tonight before reinstalling the fuel pump and filter. Add some fresh fuel too. It’s true that this issue did arise after sitting for an abnormally long winter and I had not added any stabilizer to the fuel tank prior to storage. Any idea on how to test the fuel pump?

·
Registered
710 Posts
Remove the fuel line at the injector and pressure gage at that point. The clip on the fuel line can be removed without breaking using a small screw driver. If you do break it, pick up a set of Ford fuel line clips (white color) at any auto parts store. Fuel in a tank for long periods of time collects all kinds of crap! Clean the tank, and fresh fuel will make a world of difference!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not sure what to make of the fuel pump readings. When I turn the key to RUN the pressure gauge goes up to 46psi. When the pump shuts off the pressure will drop to about 16psi and then slowly bleed back to the tank, assuming there is no foot valve at the pick up. When I try it immediately after the pressure drops to 0 psi the pump only makes 38psi and then bleeds down to 0psi. If I wait 30 seconds it goes back to 46psi then bleeds down to 0psi.

I’m wondering if it should be a consistent 46psi evry time I prime the fuel system(key ON, pump runs for 3 seconds). If yes then my pump is screwed, if no I have other issues and what might they be? I’ve read that maybe the seals on the injectors may have gone bad and should be replaced but as I said before I don’t want to just throw parts at it... Any ideas here???

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Above post should read:

“When I try immediately after, the pump only makes 38-42psi then bleeds back down to 0psi.”

Update:
After testing only line pressure of the pump I made a tee with a gauge and fired the engine. The gauge was consistently reading 44psi at idle and 43-44 psi at full throttle. Problem for me with this test is that the rev limiter engages and bogs the engine and pretty much replicates the pre-existing symptoms. I’ll have to take it for a test drive this weekend and see what happens with the machine under load.

Side note:

A family member suggested that my fuel MAP is off. I’ve reset the DIGI TUNE to factory presets and it seems to have smoothed out the idle and interrupted the backfire but the machine still needs to be tested under load. It could just be a matter of my kids messing with the onboard tuner interface. Thoughts??? Can anyone suggest the perfect MAP for the Muzzy DIGI TUNE?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.