Arctic Cat Prowler Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked this up Saturday. I have buddies with Rhinos, RZR's, Gators, etc......they don't even come close to how hard this thing steers. Honestly, it's almost as hard as a Rhino in diff. lock. Not quite, but pretty close.

Say you are in a field and kicking the XTZ sideways. When you let off of your wheel, will it return to zero? I have to push/turn mine back to zero.

The dealer has been great and said to run it back down there but I'd like to fix it myself- as I do most things. Besides, the dealer is over an hour away, and with our crazy schedule, lately, it might as well be 10 hours away.

I jacked up the front end with a floor jack to take the pressure off of the steering system and it was just as hard to steer off the ground as on.

I couldn't find anything rubbing on it.

Any ideas? I may take the tie rods loose and see if it is in the rack and pinion....and keep taking apart things to try and isolate the problem.....maybe steering knuckles.

Aside from this, it's a flat out blast. Anyone raced any stock RZR's yet. I think this take them about as much as a RZR can beat a stock Rhino. Welll see......

·
Registered
128 Posts
these steering boxes are the worst on the market, Uni steering say they will be working on a power steering unit soon when they can get a XTZ in there shop. So far the Engineering from Artic Cat is a far cry from the Kawi or Yam manufactures, I also have the problem dealer to far away and a pain with time, It's a good thing you like to work on your stuff mine has broken on every desert trip I've taken, just read around on this forum and you'll come across potential problems you may have. not to sound so negative but I have around 22k sofar into it and not sure if I should start over

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I jacked it up tonight to take the weight off of the front wheels....again.....still hard to steer....

Next, I took the tie-rods loose from the spindles- trying to isolate the problem to the spindles being stiff, the rack and pinion being stiff or the two universal steering joints..... It was still stiff to steer after there was nothing on the rack and pinion except the tie rods....

Next, I started to take the steering linkage loose from the rack and pinion. As I broke the bolt loose, I thought what the heck. I'll squirt some WD40 (not the best lube, but it was beside me) on the two universal joints and the bushing in the steering mast (where the wheel bolts on). As I shot some WD on the bottom universal, I worked the wheel back and forth. It started to ease up. The other one is in a hard to see area under the dash. I just shot some WD up in there while working the wheel.

WOW, what a difference that made! It's like power steering compared to the way it was. I swear it felt like diff. lock was on.

Now, I know WD isn't a very good lube and if I use something oil-based it'll attract dirt. So, I may call the dealer and see what they say......

I did find to rub rings on the steering shaft. Somehow, the shaft has rubbed one of the metal brackets under the hood. I took pics and will send this to the dealer. I hope they check with the factory on these two issues.

I'm a much happy camper tonight.

I can't believe how this thing handles in the woods and the rough terrain I have behind my house. I can only hope it is as tough as my buddy's Rhino that he beats to death and it, somehow, takes it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Yep!! it helped my steering also seems as the u joint under the dash was the stiff one on mine. thanks for the info!

·
Registered
128 Posts
I was looking at my steering rod as I turned the wheel and it looks like it's out of true it has a little wow in it I might have bent when I bent my tie rod, I'm replacing the tie rod it looks like I might have to take the whole steering apart to get the tie rod off,thanks for the info I'll check that out also. I think I'm going to hard mount the box and get rid of the rubber mount that must have moved enough to bend my steering shaft will see

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
are these tie rods really that weak.....i see that a lot on the various forums.....

what are you guys using for replacements....how much are they running.....i saw on one side where it bent and tore some a-arm mounts loose!:att:

I was looking at my steering rod as I turned the wheel and it looks like it's out of true it has a little wow in it I might have bent when I bent my tie rod, I'm replacing the tie rod it looks like I might have to take the whole steering apart to get the tie rod off,thanks for the info I'll check that out also. I think I'm going to hard mount the box and get rid of the rubber mount that must have moved enough to bend my steering shaft will see

·
Registered
128 Posts
yes they are weak, and the arm mounts need gussets , there's a few different aftermarket tie rods with heims
range between 240-300 for a set course something else will have to give or break

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
dang!

i like heim stuff on building hot rods but on my off-road stuff i'm a bit leary because of all the mud that i deal with....

i may just take my chances with stock....

for some reason i was thinking just the tie rod ends....

yes they are weak, and the arm mounts need gussets , there's a few different aftermarket tie rods with heims
range between 240-300 for a set course something else will have to give or break

·
Registered
128 Posts
No need to worry about that heims are used everywhere in off roading, it's probably fabricators favorite hinge from lighting to steering , I'll be replacing mine when I do long travel

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well, when you go long travel and if you want to unload them, i may be interested....just let me know...

i'd like to put some aftermarket shocks on my stock suspension.....i don't want the width of the long travel....our trails are pretty tight around here...

No need to worry about that heims are used everywhere in off roading, it's probably fabricators favorite hinge from lighting to steering , I'll be replacing mine when I do long travel

·
Registered
128 Posts
I'm sure I should have something by next desert season, then I'll looking to get rid of al of the stock parts, from the shocks to the tire and wheels maybe even the whole steering rack, I might try to sell it if I can to off set the cost of the new parts witch will be into 6 to 7k for suspension tire and wheels and maybe a power steering rack

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have an 09 prowler 650 and steering is pretty stiff, but thats not my problem. It has developed a really annoying squeak when you turn the wheel. I'm thinking that I need to take the wheel off and lub the shaft and upper joint. I shot the lower joint with good ol WD40 and it didn't help with the squeak.

2 questions: 1] how do you remove the wheel? 2] Anybody recommend a good lub?

·
Premium Member
584 Posts
Welcome to remove the mut to the point that the nut is flush with the end threads on
The shaft then put you knees under the wheel and life with your knees while taking a dead blow hammer to
The nut/shaft end the it should release then you can take it off If the steering wheel is straight I would mark the shaft and the wheel so you can reinstall it in the same position. Im thinking that the upper and lower steerind shaft bushings may be bad.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts