Arctic Cat Prowler Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All
Doesn't seem like alot of people post here but i'm willing to give it a shot.
I have a 2016 HDX700 and looking to add a few performance items but not sure where or what is the best for this unit.
I have heard that if you increase tire size upgraded clutch springs should be installed. Is this a must for performance items too? I'm looking into an exhaust system for starters but wasn't sure if the stock EFI would richen up enough with a free flowing exhaust or if a tuner kit would needed too?
Thank you for any and all input on this.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Welcome! The 700 EFI motor responds well to exhaust upgrades. I've run several different exhaust systems on mine and have not had any issues with the stock ECM. I have a 2009 700 XTX with a Big Bore kit, Web Cam, and Big Gun exhaust. I've run both stock ECM, and a Piggyback unit. The stock ECM has worked fine with my modifications, As far as clutch kits, EPI makes a Sport Utility kit that is hard to beat. Depending on what you are after, you may get by with just lighter clutch rollers. Rule of thumb is 1 gram lighter per roller for each inch increase in tire size.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your response. Not to concerned with tires at this point my biggest worry was if you add a pipe and a tuner if the stock clutches would handle the HP (if any) increase.
Was looking at the Dynatek i am kind of biased to them. Have used them many years on my motorcycles with good results. But was looking for others opinions also
Thanks
Tony

·
Registered
710 Posts
Tony, I've used Dynatek on mine. I used a fuel controller, and also their piggyback timing box. I dealt with Larry at Dynatek, and I highly recommend him for tech help! Only issue I've found with DynaTek is that many dealers confuse the applications! I ended up with the wrong box for my Prowler. Larry was able to confirm what I needed. The clutch on a 700 is the same clutch used on the 1000! You will not hurt it! To me, clutches are the best bang for the buck! The Prowlers have been almost forgotten by many aftermarket firms!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks again dpdavidson
I agree 200% with you the Prowler /HDX is overlooked on everything. It is a great unit but unless you have a Polaris or Can Am you can't find crap for them in the aftermarket world.
But anyway i was looking into the Dyantek FS but again not sure if they make it of the HDX 700 yet doing my research.
But thank you for all your help with a little search i see as you said the wet clutch is the same as a 1000 but the external springs for the belt are a different part number. Not sure if that would effect anything.
Will keep you posted
Thanks again

·
Registered
710 Posts
Nice thing about the Prowlers is the mix and match of parts throughout the years! My current motor has 2012 crankshaft cases, 2011 cylinder, and a 2009 head! I've added many upgrades to my 2009 XTX using factory parts. Several firms still offer Prowler stuff. Speedwerx, Bug Gun, Web Cams, and others. All depends want you want/need.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I'm thinking 2016 HDX was the first year with the newer body style, What are you looking for? With all of the modifications I did to mine, the clutch was the most noticeable. The exhaust may have added 3-5 HP, but I really never felt it! The Dynatek controller allowed for higher RPM, but unless you are racing your HDX you would never need it. All of my modifications were me being me! LOL Old Hot Rodder that refuses to leave stuff alone! Let me know what you are trying to find and I'll see if I can help!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.