Arctic Cat Prowler Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dont really know spanish but that phrase came to me when i was typing the title. That being said i joined this site to find out what problems the prowlers were having before i make my first side by side purchase. All wheelers have their problems but Arctic cat has a bad wrap in my part of the woods. I really want an xtz but i want to make sure that the problems that acrtic cat has are problems i can deal with or find a way to fix with minimal embarasment. All of my riding buddies got rid of their 4 wheelers and got rhinos and i want to be a little different from the rhino trend. I have two grizzlys that have had no trouble other than trouble i created. If im going to be the only guy in the group that has any thing but a rhino it has to be able to be as dependable as a rhino on the trails or im gonna hear about it from everybody. Im not saying i need a perfect machine as they all have their problems even rhinos. I just want to make sure that there are not any major concerns with the prowlers like catastrophic engine failures. grenading differentials for no reason. broken cv axles for no reason. I can understand if I cause the broken parts.
I do more trail riding than anything. A few brews, a few pipelines, some trails through the woods, a few occasional mud holes.

Plus im tired of talking trash about people buying foreign cars when i have two yamaha 4 wheelers. I want to buy something as american as possible and maybe set the example for all my rhino friends. Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hey welcome. I have a xtz, and knock on wood, I dont have any problems that Ive read about on here. And I ride it like I stole it. I baught it for te same reason as you. I did get it hot once but I was racing all day and pulling Rzrs and teryxs out of mud holes. Got a fan override switch coming. You will want tires. This thing is crazy powerful. I had HMF make me a slipon and intake. It goes 70+ I let off. Good luck. Buy American.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the insight catnhat. I was actually planning on having a quiet wheeler. Though i did have thoughts of putting some kind of exhaust on it. I will probably make an exhaust for it that is different than anything everyone else has. First thing i put on it will be a roof and windshield for the winter. After i burn the tires down to the belts i will probably get new ones as that is what i did with my grizzly. I think some swamp lites would work good as they have been a really good tire for my purposes. I dont need a bunch of side bite or really aggressive tred. What tires do you have on your xtz? I have a friend with a teryx that thinks it is the baddest thing ever made and for some reason his is better than all the other teryx ever made. He even has everyone convinced that the teryx is unbeatable. I have a friend with a razor as well who bought it because it was the fastest thing out at the time but he never goes riding. He just has it to have bragging rights i think. I am still undecided on what kind of wheeler to get just yet. I dont know if i want to be another sheep in the heard with the rhino or the wolf with the xtz. I still have a lot of research to do. One thing is for sure. I will be buying a side by side i already have a spot in the shop just for it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
BE A WOLF. I got terracross hds on mine I havnt tried them yet. But gotta be better, I burned my stock tires off racein on the street. I just got a soft roof on e-bay. windshield soon for the same reason, winter. I think we know the same teryx and rzr owners. but what makes it worse is the teryx guy is my brother. I will say this, the suspesion parts and frame on teryx are thicker and stronger but also heavier and I have a 2yr. warranty and full coverage ins. The Rzr-s has the best stock suspension out there.. It handels the best but he had to replace the rear axles twice. I think Polaris has this fixed now. It would be my second choice. Its just not as impressive when you hit the gas. And I can out drive both of them. haha.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
where you from cause we just might know the same people haha! i called the closest cat dealer to my house and they dont have an xtz however there is an 09 he can get today from another dealer if i want. only problem is that you dont get 2yr warranty on 2009 model only 2010 but 2010's arent in dealers yet. i got quoted 13990 drive out with farm tax not regular tax, no winch or extended warranty. i dont know if thats a deal on one of these or not being that i havent bought an arctic cat before so i dont know how much room they have to move as far as price goes. im thinking of just waiting for 2010's for the extra warranty they are offering and free winch,but they will be 500 more expensive. i wonder how much an extended warranty and insurance is on one of these. i dont know what changed for 2010 other than colors and price and having to wait on a list for one right now. but on the 09' thay have 1.9% for 60 months. i just dont know who they finance through. i learned with hsbc and yamaha how that works. if your one second late you get a 39 dollar late fee and interest rate goes to 20%! I think im going to wait untill the end of the month to buy it as all salesmen are willing to do a bit more on the price when the end of the month is getting close. So we will see. My mind is pretty much made up for an xtz though just need to do research on financing options and either 2009 or 2010 now. im approved through my bank untill nov. 1st before i have to reapply for a loan. so 2010 my come a day late and a dollar short. we will see what happens.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hey Im from northern Ohio. that sounds like a decent price out the door. Articcat uses Shefield financial. Your probably better off with your bank. But 1.6% i hard to beat on the 09. progressive ins. is about $250. a year for full coverage on the cat and liability on my harley.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I couldnt stand it so i left work early yesterday and went to have a look at a prowler. I have to say im kind of suprised! The whole dash doesnt shake on it like the rhino. It already has 14" wheels but only 26" tires which will be fine for now as a lift kit and tires will be in the near future. Im going to pick it up probably this comming wed. or thur. if the dealer can get a prowler winch. There was an 09' xtz there so i got to look at the color but it had caught on fire due to parking brake issue so it wasnt driveable. Shefield said I was a little over extended whatever that means in shefield terms I guess it must mean that a debt to income ratio of like 20% debt. I decided to just use my bank. But i will still get the free winch and 250 rebate for buying an 09'. So im getting a roof, rear bumper (for drunk rider protection), oil cooler, and a few on off switches and switch panel with it so it should be set up pretty good for me for a while. I also decided on a 36 month warranty. it was only like 250 bucks more than the 18 month warranty so hopefully it will be worth it in the long run. I already have ideas for the next mods for it, the spot in the center of the dash is perfect for my pistol so short of some type of cover thats what that spot is going to be for. I was thinking of getting the headliner kit from arctic cat that is ready for a radio and speakers but it looks a bit like a flimsy felt headliner. I havent seen one in person before so i cant judge it. But if its felt that means i can glass the ouside of it to make it sronger and paint it. I cant wait untill next week! Best of all nobody in any of my circles of friends have a prowler. Hopefully i will be ready for alto next month and hopefully the new cat wont let me down on its first big ride. I feel better about buying a mostly american made ride than i did when i bought my grizzlys.

·
Registered
7 Posts
just bought a 09 xtz up here in alberta canada. They do have LOTS of power nice to drive. Only problems we have up here is the tie rods keep breaking, the steering is not very strong for such a fast machine.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I got a friend who makes stronger tie rod ends. he made them for his rhino when he built a long travel kit for it. Maybe i will have to hit him up. I sure dont want one of those breaking at 70 mph! Thanks for the info bignosepicker!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts