Arctic Cat Prowler Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked this prowler up today and sometimes it will just crank forever and not fire, but if I turn key off and try a few times it will fire right up and run great? Any ideas?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, just as the above poster said I've narrowed the problem down to the choke. It seems like from all I've read the choke is a problem with this model of Arctic Cat. I've set valve clearance, cleaned and cleaned and inspected every piece of the carb and after pulling the choke and plugging it runs fine and doesn't die.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Turns out that the choke was not the problem, the cam and rockers are toast due to an oil pump gear that was chewed up and fell off so no oil to top end. 500.00 in parts and I'm repairing it. Why there was never a recall on these when arctic cat knew they were faulty is hard to believe. I'm going to get it running and trade or sell it off.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Glad to say I got it running, after a new cam, rockers, oil pump gear and a truckload of frustration. I installed the cam 180 out, had to tear down and fix that, then after I finally got it running I had issues with the manual choke I installed. Had to modify it to get a good idle, heck I might even keep it as good as its running lol.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Just like everything else, when its working it is a very enjoyable machine! When broke they suck! Nice thing about roller bearing motors, it takes a lot to mess up the lower end! I've melted pistons, ran out of oil on the top end, holed a cylinder and other forms of mayhem, but the bottom end always looked like new! I have a 09, 700, I changed the gear in mine also, the replacement gear was different from the original. My gear showed some signs of wear, but I kept it as a spare and put the new one in. Hope your Prowler makes you happy!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.