Arctic Cat Prowler Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2014 prowler. that when i try to put it gear it seems to grab and jump and causes machine to stall. i thought is may have been something with the belt but that looks fine.
i wasn't driving it when the initial problem happened but i was told that they were going down a steep hill and it started making a strange noise.
They stopped and shut off machine and when they started it back up they were unable to get it in gear. i am able to get in gear but it jumps and stalls. ANY thoughts.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help. I just recently bought this side by side so I'm not to familiar with some of the mechanics. I'm assuming the 1 way bearing is on the clutch assembly? Sorry for my ignorance but that's why I wanted to join a forum to get some expert advise rather than let the dealer run wild with my wallet. I pretty mechanical, is this something i can do on my own or should it be done by the dealer
Which for me is about 150 miles away.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Not that big of job. Have to remove the seats, and floor for working room. Outer clutch cover remove, primary and secondary clutch remove. Gaskets on inner and outer cover can be reused if you are careful (no sealant needed) drain the oil in order to remove the wet clutch cover. The oneway bearing rides on the wet clutch hub. Check for any metal off the bearing. Really the only problem for the average person is getting the clutch nuts loose, and retightening for reassembly. Download a free service manual at Country Cat as they are a must for any owner! I like to keep the inner, and outer cover bolts separated as they are different lengths. Stay in touch as you enjoy your Prowler!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got the oneway bearing out but i don't know what i'm looking for. I've not seen this type of bearing before so I'm not sure how i can tell if its good or bad. I'm going to replace it either way since i have it off but
is there something i can do to check to see if I'm fixing the problem of the jumping and stalling when i put it in gear. Also that sits on a race on the wet clutch that seems a little rough. can i just clean it up on do i need to replace the wet clutch also. thanks

·
Registered
172 Posts
low speed engine braking, like just off idle. You can burp the throttle to re-engage the clutch to use engine braking. It is an over-running bearing that freewheels in 1 direction and locks up in the other direction.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Actually it should be called a one way clutch. It provides engine braking on deacceleration. Without the clutch you will lose all engine braking below 10mph. I removed mine years ago. It is not missed! New ones run 80-90 dollars to replace if you feel the need to replace it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Got everything back together minus the one way bearing. seems to work fine havn't taken it off road yet but don't see any reason it won't be fine. Thanks to all that talked me through the repair.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.