Arctic Cat Prowler Forum banner

likes and dislikes

8K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  Joes5091 
#1 ·
whats the best thing you like about your prowler.and whats one thing you dont like about your prowler.

#3 ·
how long have you had it and what kind of riding do you do,I have had mine since 2006 and still enjoy it.:)

#5 ·
lot of people think there big,it is if you compare it to a rzr,but a prowler is not in the same class as the rzr.I liked the prowler because of the leg room,and I like being the underdog.back in 2006 there wasn't a lot to choose from you had the prowler,rhino,ranger.

#6 ·
I like that it's built like a tank. One of the toughest UTV's on the market. I love that it's easier than most to work on and modify. I dig the large storage area under the hood. It took me a while to appreciate what I initially though was the ugliest grill and headlight setup, but over time it grew on me.

What I don't like:
1) That aftermarket parts availability is based on popularity of a item and the Prowlers haven't received much wide spread love. That being said, you'll find a lot more customized Prowlers out there because of that. Prowler owners get pretty creative. But it would be nice to see more performance parts.

2) The turf-saver rear diff. Mine works fine, but it still has some herky-jerky starts. Luckily, this only plagued 2 years of models.

3) The very crappy e-brake setup. I've done the whole pull on the release and pump the emergency brake and it does nothing. Looking to do a mod another user has done and switch to a 4 wheel disc brake setup with a brake lock.

But those are all just minor beefs. I love, Love, LOVE my Prowler!

#7 ·
I also agree love it.....................:)

#9 ·
you know Joe your right,we kinda made the machines our way.............:)

#10 ·
I bought mine new this year but it's a 2010 model , 550 . We bought it for a good price , I think compared to the Ranger it's much less of a bargain then I thought it would be .
The turfsaver diff is is the worst feature of our model , still trying to figure out what turf this thing is saving . Overall our model lacks the little engineering touches that the Ranger has . Hate to be a downer ,but we'll keep it for a few years and purchase something else . I guess the good thing is we brought it to use on our property as a workhorse .

#11 ·
If your gonna trade,I would do soon,a couple years from now you will lose thousands.sorry your not happy,but they all have there problems,I am around all of them.:)

#13 ·
Gotta agree with Joe. I know Polaris builds a popular machine, but they damn well don't build a "good" machine. Every person we ride with that has a RZR or Ranger is always breaking crap. And the Ranger is about as trailworthy as a Honda Big Red. The Prowler is built like a beast in comparison. She's no prom queen, but she'll take abuse and keep on going. I'd bet the biggest letdown isn't necessarily the build quality; it's the fact you picked up a 550 which, imho, is a pretty underpowered plant to put in these machines. The difference between the power to the ground in the 550 and the 650's and 700's is pretty significant and the 550 I drove felt like a slug.

Ya, the turf saver wasn't the best engineering decision AC made, but it's an easy fix to switch it out for a spool. My advice: don't give up on it. But, if it's a power issue, like de3 stated, it's best to trade it off quick and get what you want before it depreciates too much. I have the 09 700xtx efi and I love it! Damn thing powers through anything. If you're looking at anything else besides a Prowler, I'd recommend a Teryx or even a Rhino over a Ranger.

#14 ·
I agree that every brand has their problems but having driven a 550 Ranger on our property there was a world of difference between it and our Prowler . The 550 Prowler has plenty of power for our use and again it will stay on our property so we're not using as a recreational vehicle as many of you do .
I guess I'm not a hater of this vehicle ,just has one big thing and a lot of little minor annoyances . And yes ,if I had bought a Ranger, I might be on that forum making the same complaints !

#15 ·
maybe the longer you have it the more you will like it.:)

#16 ·
I know I am not a big fan on the plastic bed .If used for working only,depending on what you haul.when I bought mine new in 2006 I started using it for hauling fire wood and the bed sides starting spreading.dont haul wood anymore,A person needs a metal bed for heavy work.

#18 ·
X2.Dont look good.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.