Arctic Cat Prowler Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently received the "thumbs up" from my wife to shop for a new UTV. I was on a budget so I knew I wasn't going to be able to pick up a brand new brand name unit like a Rhino or such so I initially was looking at picking up one of Cabella's Coleman Outfitter models which was a Rhino knockoff. That was until my brother sent me a link to an Arctic Cat Prowler that Action Motorsports in Idaho Falls was selling. They had the price listed at $7599 and it came loaded to the hilt with add-ons and only had 1739 miles on it. I talked the guy down to $7299 over the phone, dropped a $500 hold deposit on it and made the 5 hour drive from Boise to go pick it up.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So my next step was to put an expanded roll cage on it and chop the cage to allow it to fit in my cargo trailer. Since I didn't want to spend $1400+ on an expanded roll cage, I enlisted the help of my brother who helped design and build the cage for me as well as do the cage chop. Overall, I was only out $300 in material to buy the steel tubing, expanded metal and all the consumables. In the process, since I wanted to have access to my kids in the rear seat, I also ditched the rear window.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Next was to put in the rear bench seat. Being on a budget I wasn't going to be able to drop $600+ on a nice new Twisted Stitch or Bear rear bench so I had to again do some shopping. I was successful in picking up a 42" Beard rear seat from a Rhino for $239. Since Beard didn't build a seat mount for their 42" seat for the Prowler (they make a specific 48" seat and mount kit) I had to again do a little fabrication to build a mount that would fit between and above the 3" high fender wells in the bed. Luckily, I had some flex steel laying around begging to be used and some square steel tubing.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Since the flex steel base fit snug, I drilled holes into the square steel tubing and affixed the base to the seat. Total seat mount cost: a trip to harbor freight to buy a 3" die cutter for $30

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Now....here's where hindight being 20/20 becomes a bitch. Since we had welded the extended roll cage to the main roll cage back frame, I had to take the cage back off to tilt the bed back so I could remove the bolts that are used to mount the bracket. An hour later, I was able to get the seat installed and another hour to put the cage assemble back on. But dang, I'm liking the looks!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So here's where I'm at. Cage chop and extension build: DONE. Seat bought, base built and installed: DONE.

Left to do:
1) 4 Point harnesses for the rear
2) Canvas to build cover for the expanded roll rage and snaps
3) Marine stereo and speakers (gotta have tunes)
4) Build flip-down protective sreens (thinking plexiglass) for the sides of the rear roll cage to protect the kids from getting slapped by tree limbs and brush
5) trip accessories: Chainsaw from removing fallen trees from the trail path, first aid kit, etc.

·
Banned
365 Posts
looks real good,your kids will have a blast.:)

·
Banned
365 Posts
So here's where I'm at. Cage chop and extension build: DONE. Seat bought, base built and installed: DONE.

Left to do:
1) 4 Point harnesses for the rear
2) Canvas to build cover for the expanded roll rage and snaps
3) Marine stereo and speakers (gotta have tunes)
4) Build flip-down protective sreens (thinking plexiglass) for the sides of the rear roll cage to protect the kids from getting slapped by tree limbs and brush
5) trip accessories: Chainsaw from removing fallen trees from the trail path, first aid kit, etc.

wondering if you goy anymore of your projects done.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sadly, not yet. Weather hasn't been too permitting lately as we've been getting dumped on by snow. I have the canvas, snaps, and snap tool in and am ready to install the rear removable cover. Probably going to drive it over to by buddies place and install it in his heated garage (hindsight being 20/20....I am slightly regretting converting my 2 car garage into a man-cave). I also have to install a new CVT belt as mine is slipping. Previous owners utilized it as a plow machine and the sheaves are varnished a bit and belt wore to the point it needs replaced. I'm also ordering a 500lb cargo carrier for the rear hitch for throwing a cooler on and chainsaw for our trail runs. My family does a lot of group UTV runs in northern Idaho and the saw comes in handy for clearing out deadfalls blocking the path. Also throwing a new, smaller CB unit in it. Was looking at the marine ones for their higher power bandwidth, but recently read their outlawed by the FCC to use on land. So looking at the little Cobra models (and of course the stereo...which will get put in this Spring. I've got plans drawn up for retractable rear side shields to protect the kids from getting slapped by brush and will start on them soon. Between the weather and taking all December to remodel the interior of our house, I haven'lt had a lot of spare time to work on the beast.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh...forgot to add that I have a set of new Maxxis Bighorns I'm throwing on it. Current tires are wore down a bit in the front (a result, I assume, from plowing snow as the rears are fine). I'm not a big fan of the current Maxxis Razors on it. Just don't seem to hook up as well as the Bighorns.

·
Banned
365 Posts
bighorns

you will like those bighorns,i run them on the prowler and quad.it dont sound like your done yet.:)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Snow bashing

Ya...looking forward to throwing the Bighorns on. I like the more aggressive tread pattern. Looks better. Performs better. My father runs them on his 06 Prowler H1 and my brother on his '11 Teryx. Took my Prowler out a couple weeks ago when the snow first hit. Ran over a couple large snowmen in the park which made my kids giggle a lot. Wasn't impressed with how the Maxxis Razors performed in the snow either.

·
Banned
365 Posts
prowler

I can tell you been running over snowmen there in the grill,good looking prowler you have,where is it you live at. looks like you got some snow.:)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Spring has finally arrived (for the most part) and I've started back to work on my Prowler getting her all geared up for this years excursions. So...what's been done and what's on the agenda?

Done: I finally got around to picking up the other two Maxxis Bighorns for my machine and got them all mounted. I've always loved the way these tires look on machines and can't wait to get out and tear up some dirt n mud! Also installed a new badass Shorai lithium battery installed. My other one was on its last leg and not holding a charge. Also installed 4 point harnesses in the rear seat for the kiddos so I'm not having to strap car seats in anymore. I just need to pick up some harness pads for the shoulder straps .

To Do:
1) I've ordered a Dynatek FS Ignition CDI Rev Box and Coil Kit good for 7 more ponies.
2) Also got a new Carlisle Hypermax CVT belt to replace my old, worn-out belt that is slipping more than I like.
3) My wife is building a sectional canvas rear cover to snap on to the extended roll cage.
4) Looney Tuned dual exhaust. I had to kick this one around quite a bit (only because of trying to justify $861 to order it). But dangit...I love how it looks! Oh...and a slight power gain.

·
Banned
365 Posts
looking good,yours is F/I isn't it.I have the looney tune duals 5 to7 HP gain,speedwerx single system 3 to 5 HP gain,thats on a dyno.mines got a carb,I just bought a dynotek cdi,really like it 8000 rpm rev limiter,does away with the limiter in reverse.and advances timing 4 degrees at 5000 rpm.:)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ya, I've heard a lot of good things about the dynatek box. Just looking to recover a bit of the power lost from the additional weight of my rear cage, seat and passengers.

One concern I have about the Looney duals: I've heard they're obnoxiously loud. Have you put in the silencer kit? If so, how's it sound?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.