Arctic Cat Prowler Forum banner

Oil leak in clutch house

16K views 8 replies 2 participants last post by  dpdavidson02 
#1 ·
Need help..!

Belt startet slipping. Opened up the cluth house and there is a oil leak coming from behind the primery, from the drumshaft.

How do I fix this problem? Gues there is a seal, but wich one? Im looking at this picture: Prowler - Arctic Cat - OEM Parts

Hope there is a smart person out there to help me. Thanks!

Prowler 650 xt 2008

#2 ·
You have the right part, several things to look at Fixed spacer (#19) may have a groove worn in it, replace if needed, order the O-Ring (#20), and the seal (#21). You have to pull the primary, and secondary clutches and the inner cover. Drain the oil before you loosen the inner cover. Keep the outer, and inner cover bolts separate as they are different lengths. Once you have the inner cover off you will have to press the clutch housing out, there are two screws on the bearing, remove those and press the bearing out, and finally you get to the seal, press it out! Everything loads from the back side of the inner cover. Do you have a shop manual? K&N Lawn and Garden has free downloads on the manuals. Let us know how you do! I had about 4,000 miles on my seal before it started leaking.

#5 ·
Forgot to mention that you can clean the belt with a good laundry detergent, I use Tide, and hot water, let it set for a couple of minutes, then take a sponge to it to clean off the oil residue. Air Dry and your ready to re-install, keep track of the direction you took it off on, and put it back the same way.

#6 ·
Finaly got my parts!

Is there any special tools or anything special I should look out for? From what you are writing above I think this will work out fine. But strange things often happen when you do things for the first time..

All my parts are washed with dish soap. Next step is draining the oil and remove the inner cover in a couple of days, when I og to my cottage where my Cat is. Cant wait to (hopefully) drive again!

#7 ·
You will need a press to push the clutch housing out of the inner case, Everything loads from the back. Press the housing out, then there is a bearing that needs to have the retainer removed, press it out, then you have access to the seal. The fixed spacer just rides on the clutch shaft, but the seal holds it in. It slides off with little effort by hand. Be careful and take your time, and do not exceed the pressure that is required to seat the bearing when re-installing. The case is pretty tough, but I have seen them crack under pressure! Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.