Arctic Cat Prowler Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an '09 Prowler 700. Just noticed that with acceleration in 2 wheel drive only one rear wheel spins (a lot)... is this:
  • Normal
  • A broken differential
  • Just because my teenage sons have run the piss out of it...

·
Banned
365 Posts
I have an '09 Prowler 700. Just noticed that with acceleration in 2 wheel drive only one rear wheel spins (a lot)... is this:
  • Normal
  • A broken differential
  • Just because my teenage sons have run the piss out of it...
your turf saver Diff is tore up.

·
Banned
365 Posts
Thought so... any info on what is involved in repair?
You can weld pin,or replace ring gear with one out of a XT model and replace the inner CV joints the ones that slide into the housing,Joe5091 can tell you more about it.hope this helps some.:)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You can weld pin,or replace ring gear with one out of a XT model and replace the inner CV joints the ones that slide into the housing,Joe5091 can tell you more about it.hope this helps some.:)
Thanks! What is the advantage/difference with the XT model ring gear?

·
Banned
365 Posts
Thinking that's the way to go... What all will I need to do the swap? Love this board.
Joe correct me if I am wrong.you will need a 36 tooth ring gear from a xt model two inner cv joints for the same and 2 seals one for each side.

·
Registered
710 Posts
The last I heard about the welded turf savers is that they do not hold up. You are looking at 350-400 dollars in parts to swap to the XT locked rear end. Keep in mind that only 700 XT, and XTX's used a 3.6 rear gear, any other ratio would not be compatible with the 700 front differential. I bought a 3.6 rear gear, and two complete axles for mine for the price I listed. You could shave a little off of that buy just buying inner CV Joints, but for 30-40 dollars difference I bought complete axles. I'm still using my Turf Saver with 6,000 plus miles and have not had any problems to date. I change my rear lube 3 times a year with the AC Friction modified rear end lube. I've been told I could use another gear lube but did not want to take any chances. I can lay into mine from a dead stop, and it will leave two firm tracks in the gravel/lawn. I really like the turf saver, no chatter on turns on pavement!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I m from Canada. It ll cost me approx $550 plus taxes for the xt ring gear and new axles. I know that's cheap, but cheaper would be to weld. The gears already screwed, so all I d be out is my time to weld it. The guy who started this post welded and I m just trying to get an answer as to what exactly I need to weld. Thanks for the info tho.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Oops. Sorry, this isn t the post I was thinking of. The one I was thinking of, the guy welded it up and he said 3000 miles and it's still holding up strong. He said to email or pm him with any questions but that post was from 2012 so I dunno if he s still on here.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I think he still checks in, he is from Arizona, welder by trade. His broke again after welding. I understand he now has a Maverick! Try search for Arctic Cat Prowler welded turf saver, it should show several different posts. On the teeth side of the rear end you will see several bead welds enclosing a round case, you need to open this up and take out the clutch packs, this will allow you to see what needs welded to connect both axles through the rear end. In other words make it a locked differential. See if you can find user name :blowinsoot00

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.