Arctic Cat Prowler Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Again i'm in need of help. I have a 2009 xtx 700 camo. Recently did an oil change on it, and took it on a 200 mile ride. During the ride, the dash lights went out, and the VOLT word came on. As we were lost deep in the hills and at night, I didn't want to shut it off. We were lost for almost four hrs. When we finally found out way out, we were heading up a very very steep hill (so steep that my partner had to sit on the hood to keep it from going over backwards), we came to a fence line, got off the prowler to open the gate, it then died. Tried to start it but the battery was to low. I've had problems with this battery in the past. I was able to get a battery and booster cables from a local farmer and got it boosted and out of the hills. It ran approx a half mile, when it sounded like the clutch made a loud bang and it shut down again. Tried boosting it again, but was still turning over slow and wouldn't start. After getting it home and charging the battery and making sure that there is spark and fuel, I checked the oil, BONE DRY!!!!! Checked underneath and the drain plug is gone!!!! My question is, what do I start to look for, it turns over and has lots of compression, could I try fill it with oil and see if it will spin more freely and start?? I'm not sure what to do or where to start.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got a new oil drain plug and put oil in it. Now when I try start it, it fires, but doesn't want to run. It'll turn over and fire forever, but won't actually start now. Any ideas what to look for, there was next to nothing for metal fileings. Is there anyway to check the injector, i'm getting fuel to it for sure, and there is lots of compression and spark.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was just doing some reading, and would it also be possible that with no oil it did something to the wet clutch, and now when I try start it, the clutch is spinning, not allowing it to actually start up??? I don't want to pull off the clutch cover if I don't have to, but if its a possibility, then I'll need to see if its spinning when I turn it over, cause it should spin when starting, right??? Thanks again.

·
Registered
15 Posts
buddy you have a junker on your hands ...... unforunatly yes you have a problem with the wet clutch ie you cooked your lower end by running with NO oil . Yes you are right the drive clutches should not move at start or idle. so it sounds as you have seized the wet clutch and possible other damage .

the problem with the charging may be in relation to the loss of oil . you may have caused damage to the stator or it may have metal build up on the magnets . . your best bet is to remove the engine and start a tear down .

good luck .

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So an update. I went out to try start it, it starts and runs, but won't idle on its own, and is kinda a bitch to get started. Once running tho, and I put a bold in behind the gas pedal to keep er running, she idles like a top. I took it for a quick rip around the yard, and there is no funny noises and it seems to have it s normal power. As for the starting and idleing issue, I was told that it could be possible throttle positioning sensor or something, but would this make sense that it happened when I ran it out of oil??? As for the clutch spinning, once I get it to and hold it at idle speed, the clutch doesn't spin, so I suppose thats a good sign,,,,,right????

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.