Arctic Cat Prowler Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi. Guess i'm the first Norwegian in this forum (?). I'm one of few with an Arctic Cat Prowler in my country. I hope you guys understand what i write.

When my prowler not has been running for perhaps 48 hours or more it is always very hard to start. (But it always does, it just takes time). This is in the summer (10 - 30 celcius). Have not tried it in cold weather yet (guess it wont be better then).

I need to try to start it several times before it actually does. It always takes a couple of minutes everytime to start when I have not driven the car the day before.

Things i've tried: Change starter, change battery, valve adjustments and spark plug - nothing changed the starting to the better.

To me it seems more like the engine does not get fuel. I think so becouse one time I was driving I went out of fuel, and when I refuled it (the engine was still warm) I actually had the same starting problems as if it not had been started for a day or two (or more).

Can it be the fuel pump? Just a thought of mine.

Thank you very much for helping a clueless, in a country were it seems like no dealer at all have experience with prowlers.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for answer.

I guess I havn't. To honest I have no clue what the grounds are. In the dictionary "ground(s)" is translated to something else in Norwegian.

Can you try to explain? Pheraps a Picture? Why do ypu think it is the grounds?

Thank you!

·
Registered
5 Posts
What Joes5091 means is to make sure your electrical system is properly grounded to allow for a good connection.

Definitely check your grounds, but I went a step further. I installed an RV battery box under the hood with a 660 cca marine starting/deep cycle battery in it. It starts really easily now, even after sitting for a week.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Ok, thanks - guess I'll take a closer look at the electrics then.

But still I can't really understand this is det reason it won't start. It seems to be plenty of power in both my battery and the starter when I turn the key (hope i express myself right..).

To me it just seems like the engine somehow struggles to get fuel when the car not have been startet for a couple of days.

Any toughts of that, or some other tips, anyone?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
After several google/forum-search I have found an answer for my starting problem. Got a tips from a forum thread about a primer/pump on the carburator.

After a (very) good look I did find the primer. Its hard to find. Its well hidden on the drivers side of the carburator (might be old news for some...).

Pushed the primer 7-8 times (not started my prowler for two weeks) and it fired at the first try. The last two weeks, including today, it has been +/- 0 celcius (+/- 32 F).

Might not have found out of the real problem, but It definitely is a good help.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I know this might sound strange but it worked for me and a few others who have tried it. You have a vent hose that comes off the carb and ends behind the drivers seat, just plug it with a bolt and leave it. You should notice a difference after the first time you start it. You won't have to prime it anymore.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Here's where you'll find the hose I'm talking about, sorry for the dark pics but it's late here.
You can see the hose looped behind the ducts.
Water Flash photography Tints and shades Electric blue Wood

I just put a bolt in it and tucked it back behind the ducts.
Wood Bumper Gas Tints and shades Art

·
Registered
141 Posts
I'm not sure what exactly what its function is but I think by plugging it stops some of the fuel evaporation making it start easier. Give it a try for a week, if it doesn't work for you just unplug it and it doesn't cost anything to try.

·
Registered
141 Posts
If you want some better pictures of the hose location I can take some today while I have some daylight.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Yes please, some brighter Pictures:)

That thing about evaporation makes good sence to me. But cant help it, a bit sceptic - that vent house is there for a reason, isnt it?

Might give it a try tomorrow. Would be a good indication if I do. My Prowler is in my cottage up in the mountain, and wont be back again for next weekend. If it starts at the first try then..

Thank you!

·
Registered
141 Posts
I understand your concern, the first time I read about it I was skeptical also but I gave it a try and it worked for me. After I used it for a while I removed the bolt and it went right back to cranking over longer before it would start.
I setup a light on the part hope this are a little better.

Automotive tire Helmet Grey Wood Style
Automotive tire Finger Gesture Wood Nail

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gesture Bumper Finger
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Black Automotive design Automotive exterior

Automotive tire Helmet Tire Motor vehicle Tread

·
Registered
141 Posts
Good luck I hope it works as well for you as it has for me.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Did plug the vent house today. Took it for a ride and it worked as normal. Cant wait for tomorrow to see how it starts without pushing the primer!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It started at the first try. Thank you for sharing your informasjon!

But I am still really interested to know what this vent house (on the pictures) originally is for. Anyone?

·
Registered
141 Posts
It started at the first try. Thank you for sharing your informasjon!

But I am still really interested to know what this vent house (on the pictures) originally is for. Anyone?
Great! I hope it keeps working for you.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.