Arctic Cat Prowler Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First id like to say hello.. im a new member. I recently got a prowler 700. Im not sure if its an hdx or ht.. its sunburst orange with silver flame accents.

Im having a problem. If I accelerate lightly its ok. If i give it more than 1/2 throttle it starts to sputter. I have searched on line and get conflicting results if my unit has a inline fuel filter or not.. i was gonna change the filter first and see if that cures the problem..

If anyone has any ideas that would be great. Also how do i tell which model it is. ?

·
Registered
710 Posts
Welcome to the forum! The HDX has bed sides that are removable, and a bench seat while the XT,and XTX models have a dump bed, and two bucket seats. There should be identifying decals on the frame rails that will help you on your model search that will tell you the year. I have a 2009 XTX and there is a fuel filter under the passenger seat base. Once you identify your model, you can get a free service manual at K&T lawn Equipment. 2012 XTX Prowlers were orange, not sure of other years.

·
Registered
710 Posts
That looks like a 2009 Sunset Orange XTZ! It is the 1000 model! Hood Scope if original gives it away! Should be a V-Twin and very lively! Change all of your fluids, check everything over, then go have fun! I prefer synthetic oils for mine, but there are many good products available. On the motor oil, just make sure it is Wet Clutch Compatible. Air filter (s) are very important to keep clean! Dust will kill these motors quickly! The factory parts do a great job BTW! These things provide a lot of fun, but do require to be maintained! My Prowler is the first ATV/UTV I've ever been exposed to, so my learning curve was pretty steep! The service manual is very helpful, and accurate! I have over 10,000 miles on mine, and it is still going strong! Now that we have Identified your Prowler, there is a fuel filter under the passenger seat base. it is tucked up under the seat frame area. Some early models had recalls on them, but that would be a dealer/factory question. Where are you located?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had the vin ran and it came back as a 700. The dealer said I had a rare 700 with the color options on my utv. I replaced the filter and it's doinh the same thing.. so im gonna do the fuel pum next and go from there. I just hate it has problems now. It was fine for a 100 miles and then this happens. I sure wish it was the 1000 model!!!!!

·
Registered
710 Posts
I went by the hood scope, and color! Still a nice looking machine. I'm partial to the square tube Prowlers! Check the fuel pressure, you should see 43 psi minimum out of the pump. I pretty much tore every major component off mine at one point or another! Not because it broke, but I like to tinker! I have the 2009 XTX 700, it has a 750 Big Bore kit, Web Cam and rockers, Speedwerx high RPM valve springs, dynatek digital controller, Looney Tunes dual exhaust and a ported head. This combination runs very good! Clutching is handled by EPI! My Prowler is street licensed in Michigan, so during the nice weather, we very seldom drive a car! To much fun in the Prowler! Michigan has a lot of small lakeside community that we love to visit! I work on my Prowler often as it is my old hot rodder coming out of me! LOL

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I thought i replied to this a while back lol. Thanks for sll the help. It ended up veing the fuel pump. As for tinkering and hot rodding i hear ya.. i race my camaro and it keeps me very busy..l

·
Registered
710 Posts
Couple of different ways to fix the throttle. One is to replace the spring on the pedal with a spring off a 2009 650 machine (they are much lighter and really reduce the effort) Two is buy a ThrottleMaxx setup. The throttle maxx setup is great, it allows very small throttle application, and relieves leg cramps! I've had mine for a couple of years now, and it has been one of the best things I've ever added. I think he still has them for a Prowler. Tell Mike RD sent ya if you look into them!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I looked at that just now. It looks great, but does it get rid of the awful jerky starts. I can see how it helps the ankle cramping for sure!!!. But the jerking is just crazy on these prowlers on the take off

·
Registered
710 Posts
My wife had the same complaint about jerky starts when she drove, since I added the throttlemax she loves to drive! I created a monster! I've used the light spring trick and it was an improvement, but after reading about the throttlemax I had to have one! If you tell Mike you saw it on the forum, you may get a 10% discount.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.