Arctic Cat Prowler Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What options do I have for a replacement engine on a 2007 XT 650 ?

This is the third prowler that I have owned and I bought it at auction with mechanical problems. Little did I know, but there is a 5 inch crack towards the bottom of the block. Not sure what caused it, but it can't be good. I plan on removing the engine this weekend and tearing it apart to see what I've gotten myself into. If it's not repairable, I'm looking for advise on where to get a used engine or a good price on a new replacement engine. Does Artic cat use this engine on other ATV or snowmobiles? Any advise (other then don't buy from an auction) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,:sad2:

·
Banned
365 Posts
engine

A new replacement engine,around 2700 dollars from articcat PLUS SHIPPING

·
Banned
365 Posts
motor

cheesehead,wondering if you got your motor tore down.

·
Registered
14 Posts
sounds like the same problem as the one I am working on if so someone likely tore out the transmission gears when they were stuck. If you can you can replace the case and gear fairly cheap I heard this is a common problem with the 650.

·
Banned
365 Posts
sounds like the same problem as the one I am working on if so someone likely tore out the transmission gears when they were stuck. If you can you can replace the case and gear fairly cheap I heard this is a common problem with the 650.
what did you have to do replace the bevel gears,i think alot of people are just plain hard on the gear box,trying to rock it when hung up...................

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Prowler adivse update

I had a chance to tear down the motor this weekend and split the case.
Trdriver71 you were right, two for the transmission gears are broke and it took out a bearing that cracked the case. If I replace the case and the gears, I can get it back on the trails for about $1500 in parts. Still better then replacing the motor. Thanks guys for the input. Anybody out there have a used case for sale?:stups:

·
Banned
365 Posts
that would be the route to go.are you gonna resale or keep it,is the prowler in good shape.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My plan was to resale when completed. At that point it will be in excellent condition. My wife thinks I'm nuts I have two Prowlers, two Rhino's, two Teryx's and a Mule. She might have a point? :)

·
Banned
365 Posts
cant have enough toys,so you fix them up and sale them,i used to do that with dirt bikes.:)

·
Registered
14 Posts
what did you have to do replace the bevel gears,i think alot of people are just plain hard on the gear box,trying to rock it when hung up...................
I haven't had a chance to tear it apart yet but i have all new upgraded gear and new cases for it and that is exactly what the PO told us he did to break it in the first place.

·
Banned
365 Posts
I haven't had a chance to tear it apart yet but i have all new upgraded gear and new cases for it and that is exactly what the PO told us he did to break it in the first place.
how many miles on the prowler.:)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Since I bought this at auction, I'm not sure what the PO did to it to break the gears. It also had been hit from behind, I suppose it is possible that the force of the hit broke the gears, who knows? I was able to find a good used case for $500 and I ordered the replacement parts yesterday. I should have both by early next week and then I can start the assembly.
TRdriver71 sounds like you have to stick a few bucks into it also, good luck with the repair. I didn't have the Artic cat puller tool for the crankshaft and used a gear puller and mushroomed the end of the shaft with the small threads. Now I'll have to file them and hopefully salvage the crank. It never goes as easy as it is suppose to.

·
Banned
365 Posts
keep me posted on your re-build.:)

·
Banned
365 Posts
sounds like your ready to put back together,did you find out what kind of sealant to use.

·
Banned
365 Posts
keep me posted on your rebuild.:)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.