Arctic Cat Prowler Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased a 08 700 xtx that had been tipped over and left running. The motor needs rebuilt. I do not have it apart yet. Any thoughts on rebuilding a 700?

Thanks

·
Registered
710 Posts
Top end is easy to do, cylinder can be finished honed if the plating is intact. Only special tool I used on mine was the Ring Compressor (need the type that unfastens from the handle), these are roller bearing motors so a means to remove the bearings is needed. The bottom end is where it is a little more complicated, you have to split the case to remove the crank, and rod. It is a assembly that can be replaced. I found a lot of used parts on Power Sports Nation, and they do have an 08 700 Prowler scheduled to be available for parts soon. New engines run about 3,200 dollars, used are about 1,900. The advantage of a new engine is: all updated parts, comes with clutch, belt, and covers, warranty, just add your EFI and go, disadvantage : Cost, Cost, and Cost

·
Registered
710 Posts
I've been buying used parts, center cases, cylinder head, and Transmission gears set. I put a big bore kit on mine, and changed the cam, but I picked up a cylinder, and used cam to send in as cores so I still have my stock cylinder, head, and cam for future build. I plan on keeping my Prowler forever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!LOL

·
Registered
710 Posts
How does the crank and rod feel, any rough spots? I didn't notice any bluing on the rod so it may be fine as is. Roller bearing motors seem to destruct the top end, before destroying the bottom end. I ran my Polaris and the oil injection pump failed, melted the piston and damaged the cylinder, but the bottom end survived (twice!) Quick hone, new rings and piston, back running next day! I've seen several heads on Ebay, and Powersportsnation.com ( I bought one off ebay for around 100.00 dollars complete. You can use a 650/550/or 700 head, all interchange. I did a quick port and polish on the used head, had it decked for straightness, put new springs/retainers on it and lapped the valves. Still have my original head ready for a future build!

·
Registered
710 Posts
I looked at part numbers, the 550, and 1000 share the same cylinder head part number, 650's have a different part number, and the 700,s also have a different part number. Just wanted you to beware of the numbers. I think they will interchange, but my thinking may be flawed! LOL Good Luck!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks guys. The piston is bad it has a hair line crack on the bottom side. The chain is also bad its so tight that i can hardly bend it. Thinking i should replace both sprockets. Botton end not sure yet. It turns smooth not alot of play up and down but quite a bit side to side.

Attachments

·
Registered
710 Posts
Makes you wonder what ran through it! Another reason not to run without an air filter in place! I have side play in my rod also, but everything checks out fine. If the sprockets are not worn, and are not missing any teeth, I'd be tempted to just clean them up, and replace the chain.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, after several friends looked it over, and then taking it to a arctic cat dealership. I looks like I will be better to buy a new complete engine. I've been looking at cost. The dealership wants 4 grand and online I found one for 3750. What's the best website to order one from? How much if any is mine worth? Thought about parting out and selling on ebay?

thanks

·
Registered
710 Posts
Try Babbitts, or Country Cat, but the shipping will kill any savings. Your 08 is worth around 4,500 - 5,500 depending on condition. I'd limit the repairs to a new piston & rings, hone the cylinder, new timing chain, new oil pump, used complete head. Side to side clearance on the rod is 0.6mm. , you may also need a cam and rocker arms. By shopping around you should be able to get it running for 500.00 dollars. Just my thoughts. On the downside, you did not mention anything about the trans, clutches, belt and so on. All of these are included with the new engine plus a warranty.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi All Heimer here...I'm a newbie and living in Alaska! I picked up a 2012 XTX 700 last summer and had some problems getting it to shift into and out of N. After sitting all winter I took it out for a spin and discovered it's stuck in forward. I can start it and drive it I just can't get it out of gear, into N or Reverse. Any adjustments I can make or have any suggestions? Heimer

·
Registered
710 Posts
They can be temperamental when shifting. My cable was the cause on mine, removed the cable, worked it back and forth until it was smooth operating. I checked my gears by moving the shift arm by hand. Once everything was good, adjusted the cable in the neutral position, and checked for operation. With the EFI machine Idle speen can not be set. I plow snow with mine, so I'm constantly shifting from low to reverse. I come to a complete stop, bleep the throttle and change gears. These things are straight cut gear sets, no syncros! 90% of the shift problems are cable and/or out of adjustment. Download a free repair manual at K&N lawn and garden equipment, they have free manuals from 2007 thru present. The 700 XTX is a great machine, I have an 09 that we use daily!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.