Arctic Cat Prowler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I took delivery on my '09 Prowler 550 I drove it a round the dealers parking lot. Very stiff steering. Dealer said it was the concrete parking lot. OK.
Then when I get her back to home dirt it still just doesn't feel right. Checking, I found, about 6-8 in in front of firewall the shaft was rubbing a sharp support anchor on the frame upright. Shaft was already scarred all the way around with shallow groove. If the steering shaft is tubular (?) this could be a real dangerous problem if not corrected. Just a word to the wise.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Good catch, take it back to the dealer and have him warranty repair it. I t shouldn't be rubbing like that. I've heard of a couple others having that problem. It's not on all, but some more than others.
I'll check tech bulletins tomorrow to see if I find any info on the rubbing.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Okay, checked with my technician and here's what he told me. Sometimes the steering shaft on the Prowler gets pushed too far down on the steering gear unit. This causes the angle of the shaft to change enough to allow the column to rub.
All that needs to be done is to loosen the bolt that holds the clamp tight on the steering column u-joint. Then slide the u-joint back up the shaft of the steering gear unit until the column clears the frame. Then reapply Locktite (red) and tighten the bolt back down. Hope this helps.

This is the bolt to loosen to slide the u-joint up:

Here you can see how the u-joint can be adjusted up or down to change the angle of the shaft. Don't go too far up or you will make the steering harder.

·
Registered
3 Posts
hi,i have the same prob. they told me the bushings may be worn,i get a knocking sound that travels throw my machine when i go over rough ground wounder would it be the steering shaft hitting the frame

·
Registered
54 Posts
Also check the alignment of your front end. After I adjusted mine the steering was alot easier (on and off pavement).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts