Arctic Cat Prowler Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While driving my 07 650 prowler which has a seat in the bed and had some kids in it i went over a bump and the head of the shock broke off and the support that runs from the upper shock mount to the frame under the bed broke at the weld any suggestions to make it stronger and get stronger shocks? thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
That happened to me with both stock rear shocks. What I found was with the extra weight in the rear the back end sags down and the shocks are almost parallel with the ground at compression. That stresses the top of the shock and it breaks under duress.

At first I bought new shocks only and moved the old coils to them. Never again, what a hassle. Then I bought those yellow after market springs that are supposed to raise it up. Nope, not one inch higher. Less than 10" GC. Stock is 13".
I ended up buying a set of Walker Evans shocks made for a 4 seater. Imagine my surprise when I lowerd it down off the jacks and found the rear end was sagging just like before, worse, only 9 1/2" of GC under the frame.

I called WE and asked tech questions, like preloading the coils to raise it up. No, don't do that, destroys the ride.

So I finally bought a 2 1/2" lift kit by EMP and only installed the rear part of it. That brought everything back up where it belongs, the shocks get moved out a little farther from the frame for a more vertical geometry, and it rides awesome. But, talking $2,000 later.

The ride with the WE's was great from the start, built so much tougher. But the sagging rear end bugged me, I was hitting pretty small rocks on the trails my buddies were clearing.

If the ride wasn't also an issue and I had to do it over for much less money, I would have bought the new shocks only ($20 each), put the yellow coils on it ($300/pair? and a PIA to install) and put the EMP lift ($200) in the rear. I think pushing the top of the shocks out improves the geometry and would have prevented breaking more shocks.

Another issue I had with the WE shocks is the reservoirs are on the side. I run wheel spacers but the reservoir still hit the tire when on top. Now I run it on the bottom turned inside the wheel. I can still reach the ride adjuster. WE recommends it turned down to the inside towards the ground that I found that scary with the rocks I run into.

So my expereince with stock Prowler shocks anyway. Hope it helps you decide how to fix the problem.

·
Banned
365 Posts
shocks

the walker evans shocks are made to run with the cans up or down,unless you run spacers,you did the right thing by just putting the lift just on the rear.I know what you mean I run kings 1900 dollars rides sweet now.:)

·
Banned
365 Posts
While driving my 07 650 prowler which has a seat in the bed and had some kids in it i went over a bump and the head of the shock broke off and the support that runs from the upper shock mount to the frame under the bed broke at the weld any suggestions to make it stronger and get stronger shocks? thanks
sorry to here about your problem,hope nobody got hurt,a lot of guys run 350 pound springs on the rear with 4-seaters.you can get them through summit racing just measure your inside dia of your stock shock.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
suspension

I welded up all the cracks and found even a few more during the process and I bought some fox racing shocks for the rear looking at some of my buddies side by sides it seems mine has a weaker suspension

·
Banned
365 Posts
I welded up all the cracks and found even a few more during the process and I bought some fox racing shocks for the rear looking at some of my buddies side by sides it seems mine has a weaker suspension
the stock shocks aren't very good,plus they wasn't made for four seat conversions,did you buy your shocks for a prowler.I have not broke anything as far as the frame goes,but mine is only a two seater also.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I haven't noticed any frame cracks yet but now I'll keep my eyes on it. I know a 4 seater setup adds more rear weight than AC planned on but with the aftermarket shocks the ride is so much nicer. Sounds like you are on track but not sure why your frame has so many cracks in it.

·
Banned
365 Posts
do you jump your prowler,I dont understand all the cracks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I never have jumped it just trail riding and taking it pretty easy since I carry little kids in the back It does have wheel spacers and big horn tires might put some extra stress on the suspension, all the cracks were at the welds though so might have just been bad day for the welder. The aftermarket fox shocks were much thicker at the heads compared to stock, not cheap though,

·
Banned
365 Posts
I never have jumped it just trail riding and taking it pretty easy since I carry little kids in the back It does have wheel spacers and big horn tires might put some extra stress on the suspension, all the cracks were at the welds though so might have just been bad day for the welder. The aftermarket fox shocks were much thicker at the heads compared to stock, not cheap though,
I have read some old post on some of the members having welds crack,but not to many complaints,your right shocks are not cheap,did you buy all 4 or just for the back.:)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.