Arctic Cat Prowler Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reading the forum and am very impressed. Can i get some info on changing the timing chain in an 2008 Prowler 700 xtx? I have a manual, the top of the motor is tore down, chain is shot, has jumped time, but I am not sure how I get the bottom of the chain off. The manual has nothing on this. Can anyone help me? Motor have to be pulled etc?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Pretty sure you need to split the case to get the chain off the crank. RD will be here soon, he tears these motors down all the time for something to do in his "spare time"

·
Registered
705 Posts
Pull your belt, and clutches off, remove the inner cover and wet clutch (left hand threads on the wet clutch nut). Once wet clutch is removed you can drop the timing chain into the case and take it off the bottom gear, I leave the clutches off until I have the top end back on as it allows the chain to lay in the case until you are ready to time the motor. I've accidently dropped the chain into the case while working on the top end! Sucks! About half the time I can retrieve the chain if I'm lucky! LOL Good Luck! Motor can stay in your Prowler for this! I do recommend pulling the floor and seat pans for working room!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pull your belt, and clutches off, remove the inner cover and wet clutch (left hand threads on the wet clutch nut). Once wet clutch is removed you can drop the timing chain into the case and take it off the bottom gear, I leave the clutches off until I have the top end back on as it allows the chain to lay in the case until you are ready to time the motor. I've accidently dropped the chain into the case while working on the top end! Sucks! About half the time I can retrieve the chain if I'm lucky! LOL Good Luck! Motor can stay in your Prowler for this! I do recommend pulling the floor and seat pans for working room!
What parts do you suggest I change? Chain, cam gear, chain guides, and ??????

·
Registered
705 Posts
The parts you mention are very durable. Check the chain tensioner to see if it retracts (pull the bolt off the end, and use a small screwdriver too retract the plunger. It should offer resistance while turning. If not, this may be why your timing chain jumped. But still a good idea to replace the chain. Unless the guides are broke in half, they should be fine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The parts you mention are very durable. Check the chain tensioner to see if it retracts (pull the bolt off the end, and use a small screwdriver too retract the plunger. It should offer resistance while turning. If not, this may be why your timing chain jumped. But still a good idea to replace the chain. Unless the guides are broke in half, they should be fine.
Thanks so much for the help!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
timing chain replacement

Let us know how your project works out! Good Luck, and stay connected!
YEA! I FOUND THE BOTTOM OF THE TIMING CHAIN! I have worked on vehicle and equipment engines for 50 years and have never attempted to tip an engine like this. I think I can do it but my hands and eyes aren't as good as they once was. Now I am waiting for parts.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Pretty much my experience also! Built many auto engines, but the Prowler motor made me pause! The service manual is very accurate on details and how to's!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
prowler is running

Pretty much my experience also! Built many auto engines, but the Prowler motor made me pause! The service manual is very accurate on details and how to's!
Just got my Prowler running. It was a challenge for me, differ concept than engines I have worked on. Getting the cam gear and timing marks aligned was my biggest struggle. Thanks so much for your help. As fumbled fingered as I am I understood the reason for not putting the bottom together until top is complete. The times we live in now, not many people will reach a helping hand to a stranger. Thanks again.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Great thing about the forum is that everybody is helpful! I self taught myself on my Prowler, but without the forum it would have been a struggle! I'm a older person, I am a Hot Rodder by heart! Only thing is that I found out I was very limited on heavy work as I aged. The Prowler afforded me a new outlet to screw things up! LOL

·
Registered
6 Posts
Gentlemen, I'm looking at the same problem on my 2009 700 xtx. The chain is trashed. the cam gear looks good. I just replaced the tensioner but I can still pull the chain up off the cam gear by about .100". I downloaded the manual but didn't see any mention of the pulling the chain off the crank gear. I was assuming that I had to pull everything and split the case but i'm hoping it's the same on a 2009 as a 2008. So before you pull the belt and wet clutch I need to pull the valve cover, head and the cylinder? If that's the case I'll need to buy the cylinder to block gasket, head gasket and chain? What else do you think I should pick up? If pulling the cylinder would you recommend honing and replacing the rings?

Sorry for so many questions. This is next weeks project with my boys.

·
Registered
705 Posts
I'd avoid pulling the head, the bolts are a one time use affair! I've reused head bolts and have had a 50% success rate. I usually ended up snapping one off! Finally went to cylinder/head studs to eliminate the factory bolts. Head and cylinder do not need to be disturbed in order to change the timing chain.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Pretty sure you need to split the case to get the chain off the crank. RD will be here soon, he tears these motors down all the time for something to do in his "spare time"
Yes you have to take off the right side of the crank house Ie split the outer part of the gear house .

1 - 14 of 14 Posts