Arctic Cat Prowler Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I'm new to this site and I have a question about a problem I have encountered. I was driving my machine and the rpms went up but the speed didn't change after that I can no longer go in reverse because the rev limiter doesn't allow me to. To go forward I have to hit about 5000 rpms before it will move, thats in both 4 wheel and 2 wheel. Checked the belt and all seems well. Any ideas?

·
Registered
710 Posts
Several things come to mind. Oil leak into the clutch housing, fixed plate failure. Any smell of burning oil, or rubber? Any unusual smoke out of the clutch air out duct? The override button will allow higher revs in reverse, and 4WD, both need to be in use for the override to function.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What do I look for in a fixed plate failure? I didn't notice any smoke coming out of the air duct, but there was a little smell, to me it smelt like something would when it is hot. There does seem to be a small amount of oil on the clutch housing. When I hold the override button the machine revs to about 5000 rpms, the machine doesn't move, and the clutch stops spinning. I do have it in 4WD at the time. Another question about the one way bearing, I mainly use this machine with the tracks on and a loaded box with ice fishing gear, should I remove the bearing?
Thanks for the response.

·
Registered
710 Posts
The fixed plate is splined and held in place with a nut. The nut can back off and allow the plate splines to be damaged. The plate provides a ramp for the clutch roller to engage the clutch. A small amount of oil in the clutch housing is signs that the seal is leaking. Removing the oneway bearing is recommended in High Load situations, and tracks would fit that description. Download a service manual at Country Cat if you don't already have one. I've found that the nut on the fixed plate will lose its holding grip after repeated removals. Arctic Cat has a new nut that is by far better than the old design. This nut requires 160 ft. lbs. of torque to install! I use a air impact to remove and replace mine! Let us know what you find!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I tore into it today and did find a bad seal. Waiting to get the seal,o ring, and nut from the cat dealer. I also removed the wet clutch and that has some bear metal on the shoes along with some very small grooves on the drum. Should I have the drum turned or just clean it up with some emery cloth? Should the drum be completely smooth or is there slight grooves in it for better hook up? Have you heard of any shoes that are better than the OEM ones?

·
Registered
710 Posts
Oil leak in the clutch housing is a Prowler thing! With the amount of abuse the seal takes, they do a remarkable job! I have over 10,000 miles on my Prowler and the seals usually start to leak around the 3,500 mile mark. Grooves on the wet clutch drum should be turned down to provide a smooth surface. I've seen aftermarket clutch shoes on the AIRDAMN site (been quite awhile ago!) that provide a solid clutch pad. Do you have a Trac Kit on your Prowler? It consists of a solid spacer between the primary clutch sleeves. It allows a super low gear for tracs! Part number 1436-333. Country Cat has them at 12.95 each for the XTZ and they are in stock.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I do not have the trac kit, I was told that with the 1000 you don't need it. Since I have it torn down this far I think I will look into that. If there is any loss of top end speed with the kit installed I am not concerned about that because my main use is with the tracks on the machine, not a lot of speed with the tracks. If the kit helps with the life of the clutch and belt I'm all in. Thanks for the info and I will keep you posted.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I finally got all my parts and had some time to put everything back together. I did buy a new OEM wet clutch and drum. Dropped all the parts of at a local cat dealer to press everything together, didn't want to ruin anything without using a press. Put it back together with a clutch kit and what a difference! I no longer have to use 4WD with the override button pushed to go in reverse, the low end power is so much more, it hooks up right away.
Thanks for all the help.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.