Arctic Cat Prowler Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone.

Last weekend I picked up a new 2010 XTZ 1000. It had 5 miles on it from test rides when I left the dealer. Since then, I have drove it around the farm, and from one farm to another. Wednesday night, I was going up a hill in low range 2WD, and punched it to try to get to an open gate before the livestock did. The rearend started "popping". It was more like a "ratcheting" sound/motion. Neither rear tire spun, but it wasn't going anywhere.

Upon getting back to the house, I held the brake from a stop, and brought the engine speed up slightly. The driveshaft was turning (banging when it tried turning) but the axles didn't move. Normally I would chalk this up to the pinion slipping on the ring gear. I pulled the fill plug, and the oil is definetly full of metal specks. I didn't see any large pieces, but you can't really see anything through the fill hole and you are looking at the back side of the ring.

I just pulled up the parts fiche and I see there is a clutch of some kind connecting the input shaft and the pinion. Is that a plate clutch system, or a ratchet style?

Either way, its under warranty and going to the dealer to be looked at. However, I am trying to figure out what might have went wrong.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
From further research, it seems its the "spike load dampner". Pretty shitty idea. Why not just build the parts to hold instead of putting a clutch that is already slipping within the first 100 miles?

·
Registered
6 Posts
you can weld it or pin. but the reason for the dampener is the cases aren't quite strong enuff to hold the torque. the 2011 have a upgraded dampener that can withstand more load. We run them in our prowler and thundercats that we mudbog. Holding up really well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.